How come none of my newly discovered points show up?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

26 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby bobzilla » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:08 pm

points are ordered by lastupdt, and the request contains the lastupdt that the client has seen before, so if all works well the server doesn't have to send the same points more than once. it's possible that if a download fails the integrity is lost and the client won't request the right data. to start over you can delete the cache files. these are expensive queries, so please don't beat on us too hard doing that :)

Postby Blaze312 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:00 pm

After spending about 2 and a half hours trying different things I have given up on this problem. I just can't figure it out.

I guess I will just use Digle. Next question... What would be the possibilities of increasing Digle to more then 60,000 points.

Postby Dutch » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 pm

After spending about 2 and a half hours trying different things I have given up on this problem. I just can't figure it out.

I guess I will just use Digle. Next question... What would be the possibilities of increasing Digle to more then 60,000 points.
Not possible, unless Arkasha recodes DiGLE to pull down data in the same manner as JiGLE does.

As for the JiGLE problems you're seeing, I have no problems getting additional data, on subsequent runs.

Can you provide me with the mappack you're seeing problems with ?

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby Blaze312 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:31 pm

It is the Washtenaw County Vector Map.

Thanks

Postby Dutch » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:45 pm

It is the Washtenaw County Vector Map.

Thanks
Works fine for me.

That mappack downloads data into two cachefiles, covering the following boundingboxes :
43.0,-84.0 <-> 42.0,-83.0
43.0,-85.0 <-> 42.0,-84.0

First download pulls 60002 networks into the cachefiles covering the bounding boxes which that map pack resides in, 46147 in the first cachefile, and 13855 in the second cachefile, and displays 10604 networks in the mappack.
This covers data logged between Dec 11 2001 and Sept 08 2006.

Selecting the <choose mappack> from the drop down list, then selecting the Washtenaw mappack once again, triggers the next download.

This pulls down 53604 additional networks into the cachefiles, 34392 for the first cachefile, 19212 for the second, and displays 25932 networks in the mappack.
This covers data logged between Dec 11 2001 and Apr 12 2007.

Doing it again, pulls another 59245 networks down in the cachefiles, 38877 for the first and 20368 for the second, and displays 43738 networks in the mappack.
This covers data logged between Dec 11 2001 and Jun 29 2007.

Finally, repeat, rinse and spindry for the forth time, pulls down 2032 networks to the cachefiles, 2007 in the first and 25 in the second.
The mappack shows 45498 networks, covering the period of Dec 11 2001 and July 01 2007.

Incidentially, 2 of those networks was logged first by me. Most certainly they have been Ad-hoc networks logged by me here in Denmark first, and later over there by someone else.

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby Blaze312 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 pm

I finally found the problem. It took me a while but I finally figured it out.

After looking into it more I just couldn't understand why it was working for everyone else but not me. First thing I tried was totally deleted the program and reinstalled it. That didn't work. Then I decided extracting the files directly to the C:\. So the program was now in C:\JiGLE. This DID work. I was previously storing the program in a wardriving folder on my windows desktop.

I believe I have narrowed down the issue. Which may or may not be a bug in the program. JiGLE won't load the cache files if they are stored where the directory path has a space in it.

I tested this theory by creating the following folders. C:\space test\ and C:\spacetest.

When the jigle folder is located in the directory that has a space, the cache files will not load. When it is located in the directory without a space. The cache does load.

I hope this helps anyone else who may be having problems. Can someone else please test this theory and verify if this is a bug or just a fluke thing happening on my machine.

Thanks for the help!

Postby Dutch » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I finally found the problem. It took me a while but I finally figured it out.

After looking into it more I just couldn't understand why it was working for everyone else but not me. First thing I tried was totally deleted the program and reinstalled it. That didn't work. Then I decided extracting the files directly to the C:\. So the program was now in C:\JiGLE. This DID work. I was previously storing the program in a wardriving folder on my windows desktop.

I believe I have narrowed down the issue. Which may or may not be a bug in the program. JiGLE won't load the cache files if they are stored where the directory path has a space in it.

I tested this theory by creating the following folders. C:\space test\ and C:\spacetest.

When the jigle folder is located in the directory that has a space, the cache files will not load. When it is located in the directory without a space. The cache does load.

I hope this helps anyone else who may be having problems. Can someone else please test this theory and verify if this is a bug or just a fluke thing happening on my machine.

Thanks for the help!
Sounds about right for Windows.. Any path or file name containing spaces or being longer than 8 chars, must be contained in double quotes, or referenced by the backward compatible 8.3 standard.

Check your WiGLEAPI.Properties file in the directory where you have JiGLE.
Change the pathname referenced in the autoCacheDir statement, so it either reference the 8.3 version or has the path name enclosed in doublequotes.

Better yet, format the Windows disk, and install Linux. You'll end up being more productive.

Dutch

Postby Blaze312 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info.

Now that I have figured out the problem I'll just run it from c:\jigle.

Is there some reason that the quotes aren't added by default? Is there some conflict on other operating systems? I would think you could just make it so the quotes are always used in that part of the file. If the quotes are mandatory and don't have negative effects on other operating systems. I think this will fix problems for everyone else who may be currently experiencing this problem, or will experience it in the future.

I know I personally never used Jigle and always used Digle for this very reason.

Thanks again for the help

-Brian

Postby Dutch » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info.

Now that I have figured out the problem I'll just run it from c:\jigle.

Is there some reason that the quotes aren't added by default? Is there some conflict on other operating systems?
Ultimately only Bobzilla/Uhtu/Arkasha can answer that with any weight behind. But my guess is that there's no check in the JiGLE client for what OS it is running on, since it is a Java application, and therefore relies on the JVM to protect it from any OS related idiosyncracies.

So whether the "fault" lies with the WiGLE Triumvirate, or the Sun Java programmers, or the Microsoft Windows programmers for making such a fubar'ed kludge to support long path and filenames, is up for discussion.

You could also say it's not a bug per se, but a "feature", but then you have revealed you'd like to be hired as a programmer for Microsoft.

Thanks again for the help

-Brian
You're welcome, was a pleasure to insure that another person over time will be inflicted with OCWDD.

Dutch

Postby bobzilla » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:13 pm

ah, i would have had a hard time reproducing that error :)

Postby poki73 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 pm

I've had that problem in Windowz for a long time(Program Files directory). Now i have it sorted after reading this thread. Thanks Blaze for catching it, I thought I was simply going mad. ;)

26 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”