Encryption Stats

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby DynaCorp » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm

Would it be possible to modify the Stats section to contain the Top 1000 to 3000 SSID's, and have some sorting options like encryption type? This would allow for more detailed statistical analysis of what the current trend in wireless security is. There may also be some other things we can discover with other sorting options as well.

Postby uhtu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:17 pm

see the links at the top of the stats page.

Postby DynaCorp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Indeed there are stats at the top of the stats page with the amount of networks using WEP, Open, unknown, etc..

There are also links to sort on the default stats page, but not the "View SSID/Manufacturer Stats".

It would be nice to be able to see "%WEP", and "%WPA" next to "SSID, Total, and Percent", and to be able to sort by "%WEP" and "%WPA".

This could be added to the "SSID Stats (top 1000)", the "IEEE OUI Stats (top 1000)", and the "Manufacturer Stats".

This will open up a broad understanding of what encryption is being supported by the AP's Manufacturers.

Maybe it could also include a column for "%WPA2" or any other type of encryption AP's support. There may be a way to detect if Radius is in use as well.

What kind of DB engine does WiGLE.net use? Would this be possible with the current DB setup?

Postby uhtu » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:08 pm

you're limited by a large number of factors, mainly what is reported by the various stumbling packages. in terms of sortability, we'll add it to the list, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
however its worth noting that there simply *isn't* a variance of supported encryption by manufacturer, and its entirely up to the AP operator: you can't determine supported, only deployed.

Postby i_do_dew » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:52 am

I think you are not going to get much, recognizing WEP vs WPA would require two things to be true to get that piece of data.

First the software used would have to support it, and I imagine that lots of people uploading are still using NS, which can not tell the difference. The other factor is if the card itself can tell. The best receiving card I've used only is a B card that came out well before WPA. I'm sure I'm not the only one using it or one of its clones as its -91dbi signal floor is handy. The scanning applications can tell B from G by the beacon timing. I believe the encryption type is determined by a flagged bit. If the scanning software doesn't support it, you wont see the difference.
Indeed there are stats at the top of the stats page with the amount of networks using WEP, Open, unknown, etc.

It would be nice to be able to see "%WEP", and "%WPA" next to "SSID, Total, and Percent", and to be able to sort by "%WEP" and "%WPA".

Postby themacuser » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 am

The best receiving card I've used only is a B card that came out well before WPA. I'm sure I'm not the only one using it or one of its clones as its -91dbi signal floor is handy. The scanning applications can tell B from G by the beacon timing. I believe the encryption type is determined by a flagged bit. If the scanning software doesn't support it, you wont see the difference.
If the card you're thinking of is the card I'm thinking of (Senao 2511), I've gotten it to do WPA in software with wpa_supplicant.

Atheros cards can get down lower than that, and they seem to be the only modern chipset that can. Why does nobody care about this any more?

Postby i_do_dew » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:24 am

If the card you're thinking of is the card I'm thinking of (Senao 2511), I've gotten it to do WPA in software with wpa_supplicant.
I have a rebadge of that card as one of my options.

I have not tried wpa_supplicant while scanning, not much point since I'm not trying to attach to the APs I see. That being said, at this point, my 78K gps plotted points have all been NS which cant recognize WPA anyway.

As for why the providers don't care...that is simple, they want cheap. Cheap sells, quality suffers. The quality parts and receiver configurations cost more to make, tune and test. The frothing teeming masses of Blow Schmoe don't know the difference and probably don't care.

Postby themacuser » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 am

I have not tried wpa_supplicant while scanning, not much point since I'm not trying to attach to the APs I see. That being said, at this point, my 78K gps plotted points have all been NS which cant recognize WPA anyway.
No, I'm not using wpa_supplicant while scanning, I was just mentioning how it can be made to work with WPA using this. When I had that card scanning, it was using KisMac in passive mode, and was finding WPA networks.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”