OK, what am I doing wrong?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Sanukk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi All

First off, I'm not sure this is the right place for this to go, but it seemed better than the other option, so if I'm wrong sorry.

I'm completely new to the world of WarDriving, my set up is an HTC Touch (P3450 I think without checking) and I'm using WiFiFoFum version 2.2.12 to do the searching, connected to a generic GPS unit via BlueTooth.

I uploaded my first WarWalk to be told:
Wigle Transaction ID: 20080417-00020
Status or Task: Completed Successfully
Task %-age Complete: 100%
Elapsed Time (seconds): 0
Uploaded on Date (CT): 2008-04-17 06:31:03
File Name (wigle-assigned): WarDrive.xml
File Size (bytes): 2,961
File Lines: 108
New Networks with GPS: 0
Total New Discovered Networks: 0
Total Networks in File: 0
Total New Locations: 0

So although it uploaded fine, it didn't appear to do anything. The xml file looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<DataSet1>
<AP>
<WEP>On</WEP>
<MAC>0019E0A148D4</MAC>
<SSID>Mad-House</SSID>
<Type>AP</Type>
<RSSI>-34</RSSI>
<MaxRSSI>-30</MaxRSSI>
<MinRSSI>-40</MinRSSI>
<Channel>6</Channel>
<FirstSeen>2008-04-17T12:10:15+01:00</FirstSeen>
<LastSeen>2008-04-17T12:14:12+01:00</LastSeen>
<HDOP>1.1</HDOP>
<Lat>50.730744999999992</Lat>
<Lon>-3.5098333333333329</Lon>
</AP>
</DataSet1>

(I've removed all the data apart from one to save space.)

What am I doing wrong?

-S

Postby Sanukk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi Again,

OK, I tried saving and uploading in every format that WiFiFoFum will do, and it appears that the *.ns1 format works, but I'd Appreciate it if some admin type could check to make sure this is correct, the *.ns1 output of WiFiFoFum NOT the fact that *.ns1 are accepted. Transaction No. 20080419-00025 if that's of use.

-S

Postby whitedice » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:00 am

Hi Again,

OK, I tried saving and uploading in every format that WiFiFoFum will do, and it appears that the *.ns1 format works, but I'd Appreciate it if some admin type could check to make sure this is correct, the *.ns1 output of WiFiFoFum NOT the fact that *.ns1 are accepted. Transaction No. 20080419-00025 if that's of use.

-S
When you click the "Post File" link, there is a list of supported file types.

WiFiFoFum is not one of the listed accepted file types for upload, so that is why most of the file types associated with it did not work. Saving as an *.ns1 worked, because *.ns1 is a NetStumbler format, and NetStumber is an accepted file type.

I have used WiFiFoFum, and the only way to get it to work with WIGLE is saving as *.ns1. If regular WiFiFoFum's *.ns1 format did not match NetStumber's *.ns1 format, you would get zeroes across the board. If you get credit for something, then it is working.

They are 2 different programs, so all fields may not be replicated, but the essential info for scoring is.

I'm not an "admin," but I have a pretty good idea of how it all works. Does that help?

Postby Sanukk » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi
When you click the "Post File" link, there is a list of supported file types.
Yup, xml (the original file format I was trying to upload) was listed, this is why I was getting confused by the lack of success.
WiFiFoFum is not one of the listed accepted file types for upload, so that is why most of the file types associated with it did not work. Saving as an *.ns1 worked, because *.ns1 is a NetStumbler format, and NetStumber is an accepted file type.

I have used WiFiFoFum, and the only way to get it to work with WIGLE is saving as *.ns1. If regular WiFiFoFum's *.ns1 format did not match NetStumber's *.ns1 format, you would get zeroes across the board. If you get credit for something, then it is working.

They are 2 different programs, so all fields may not be replicated, but the essential info for scoring is.
They are listed as new finds, however they do not show up on the map, this is why I'm unsure of the file format.
I'm not an "admin," but I have a pretty good idea of how it all works. Does that help?
A little, thanks.

-S

Postby whitedice » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Yup, xml (the original file format I was trying to upload) was listed, this is why I was getting confused by the lack of success.
Actually, it isn't. You had the right idea, but WiFiFoFum's *.xml format doesn't match Kismet's *.xml format. And apparently doesn't match MacStumbler's "plist *.xml" format either.

Here is what kismet's *.xml format looks like. Notice the fields don't match at all...

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> <!DOCTYPE detection-run (View Source for full doctype...)> - <detection-run kismet-version="2006.04.R1" start-time="Thu Apr 17 08:29:46 2008" end-time="Thu Apr 17 08:33:51 2008"> - <wireless-network number="?" type="infrastructure" wep="false" cloaked="false" first-time="Thu Apr 17 08:31:14 2008" last-time="Thu Apr 17 08:33:46 2008"> <SSID>attwifi</SSID> <BSSID>00:0F:F8:58:3A:D9</BSSID> <channel>11</channel> <maxrate>11.0</maxrate> <maxseenrate>0</maxseenrate> <encryption>None</encryption> - <packets> <LLC>54</LLC> <data>0</data> <crypt>0</crypt> <weak>0</weak> <dupeiv>0</dupeiv> <total>54</total> </packets> <datasize>0</datasize> - <gps-info unit="english"> <min-lat>41.367168</min-lat> <min-lon>-82.956680</min-lon> <min-alt>611.159973</min-alt> <min-spd>0.034523</min-spd> <max-lat>41.367172</max-lat> <max-lon>-82.956642</max-lon> <max-alt>612.479980</max-alt> <max-spd>0.115078</max-spd> </gps-info> </wireless-network> </detection-run>
Like I said, WiFiFoFum replicated NetStumbler's *.ns1 format, so it works. I did not say, so I will say now. WiFiFoFum did not replicate Kismet's *.xml format, so it does not work. They have to match for it to work.

Second statement was..
They are listed as new finds, however they do not show up on the map, this is why I'm unsure of the file format.
The "Web Maps" updates every night roughly around 3am EDT. The dataset you posted is most likely on the map now. If "Mad-House" was a "new find," I just queried for it, and it showed up on the "Web Maps" and was last updated on 2008-04-19 @ 18:16:02. There is no street detail, because WIGLE is US based so there isn't as much street detail abroad, but I queried the coordinates, and it appears that you might have been standing on the corner of Abbey Rd & Pinhoe Rd in Exeter, Devon, UK.

Postby Sanukk » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:34 pm

The "Web Maps" updates every night roughly around 3am EDT.
OK, I obviously missed that rather important detail LOL
The dataset you posted is most likely on the map now. If "Mad-House" was a "new find," I just queried for it, and it showed up on the "Web Maps" and was last updated on 2008-04-19 @ 18:16:02. There is no street detail, because WIGLE is US based so there isn't as much street detail abroad, but I queried the coordinates, and it appears that you might have been standing on the corner of Abbey Rd & Pinhoe Rd in Exeter, Devon, UK.
Spot on, Everything appears to be as it should, now to start wandering about some more :^>

Thanks.

-S

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”