The new web maps are grrrrrrreat!

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby KH » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Just saw the beta web maps based on google maps (the advantage of being in the timezone which has working hours right after the wigle masters finally get to go to sleep).

Great stuff guys! Looks amazing!

Postby bobzilla » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks! Let us know if you spot issues, it's still a work in progress.

Postby KH » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks! Let us know if you spot issues, it's still a work in progress.
At certain zoomlevels, moving the map around gives overlays which use the style for a different zoomlevel. Quite hard to explain, so let me see if I can get one I can reproduce...

Go to https://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap ... mapzoom=14 and then drag the map to the bottom right. In the first new overlays drawn in the northwest area (around names like 'overvecht') the red/green colors aren't used but I see darker colors and even a few network names. Moving further sees some other overlays again in the expected red-green style.

This may be something which was already present in the previous version of the web maps. Yes, https://wigle.net/gps/gps/BMap/onlinema ... 7080078125 and then drag the map to the bottom right: the style of the network dots changes too.

(time to leave and go cycle a few of the white streets on the map)

Postby bobzilla » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:53 pm

The red/green size and whether there is a dark border changes depending partly on how many there are to display. This helps highlight networks when there are few, and see more detail when there are many. This can look odd in a tiled setup, and should probably be smoothed out in some way.

Edit: that looks a little better.

Postby pejacoby » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Everything I'm looking at right now is showing "Plot Error, Apologies" instead of pretty red/green dots. The default start page over Chicago or zooms onto Minneapolis/St.Paul MN show the same error.

Using Safari 4.0.4 on OS X 10.6.2 if that's relevant.

Postby uhtu » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:02 am

there's an issue with the mapserver (unrelated to this change)
working on it.

Postby bobzilla » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:33 am

Helps if I have the mapserver actually running after doing maintenance. At least the new error image got tested. Problem now resolved.

Postby bknowles » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 am

I was getting the "plot error" message, then it was working briefly, and now it seems to be broken again.

Is this all due to the map server going down and coming back up, or something else?

Also, Is there a way to see a map of the APs I have uploaded myself?

Thanks!

Postby bobzilla » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:36 pm

The webmaps were down after the overnight run due to issue from diagnosing what was wrong earlier. Hopefully back to normal now.

Postby uhtu » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:37 pm

to see your own points, be logged into wigle and click the "First Discovered By Me" box, then "update"
When I do a query, for example searching for a specific ssid I get a resultpage with a map link like:

http://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap2 ... d=hcc!pcgg

Those links don't work anymore with the magic and great new google maps based map.

(and trying the above with url bbcode around it triggers a bug in phpbb)

Postby bobzilla » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Right you are, thanks for the heads up! Should be fixed now. Query results have new-style links, and old style links are now backwards compatible.

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”