Wrong KLM parsing?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby yurmax » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 pm

I uploaded the klm file from wardrive (android) for Odessa, Ukraine, but all the points on the map are red.
there should be about 10% green open wifi.

Postby bobzilla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:09 am

As noted on the web maps sidebar, the color has to do with "QoS", or Quality of Signal. That's calculated based on how many times the network was observed, or if it was observed by different people.

"close view: red low QoS, green high QoS"
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby yurmax » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:03 am

oh .... I thought the green dots is the access point without encryption.
as for me, more interesting is the collection of open wireless points for possible use, and display them on the map.
possible to make a visual difference between public and private access points on the map?

Postby bobzilla » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:45 pm

There are checkboxes for "possible freenet" and "possible commercial net", which just look at ssid's that are commonly in either of those sets. A network just not having encryption gives you no right to use it.

Postby ToxiNiK » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:31 am

In my country almost all gas stations, restaurants, cafes and other public places have open wireless networks for free use. But I do not know why all these places are shown in red, and networks that can not be used? If you filter on their name could not understand that they are free of charge because most names are the name of the company, club or anything else that does not include Free.
It would be better on the page with google map to put the filter open network without encryption.

Postby bobzilla » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:39 am

We tag networks that have names that are likely free to use, but there is no way for us to validate whether any specific network is actually sanctioned for use by the owner. Not having encryption does not mean it is authorized to use.

That said, if you have a list of ssid's that companies in your area that are actually open for public use, let us know and we can add it to the tagging system.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”