Ethics of posting other people's Netstumbler data files?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

3 posts • Page 1 of 1
Greetings,

I want to know if posting other people's Netstumbler files is recommended.

On the postitive side, it will increase the total number of networks in the database. Some Wardrivers post their raw data files on the internet, but do not know of the Wigle project.

On the negetive side, the wardriving was not done by the user and the user is taking credit for other peoples work. This can also can lead to bad data in the database.

On a related topic, is there any mechanism to prevent a malicious user (anti-wardriver perhaps) from generating massive amounts of ficticious data and uploading it to the site? If a user is found to be malicious, is it easy enough to remove all data that they had entered?

I love the Wigle project and hope that these things can be prevented.

Tristan

Postby NinjaPablo » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:05 pm

I think Wigle has some safeguards in place to prevent bogus data from flooding the system. It does checks on geographic location, how often the AP is seen, etc etc. and gives it a quality rating.

As for posting Netstumbler files you find online, it probably won't do much good, since they've probably been submitted by the wardriver already and are just being shared for others to look at.

Postby blackwave » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:04 am

... this discussion has come up before and pretty much ended with...

"well, we shall see what happens and go from there"...
since its inception I have been concerned with contaminating the databases out there... such anti-wardrivers may exist who knows.

I know I guard my data exclusively, especially from getting contaminated by false data, or corrupt data.

It all comes down to trust... do you trust what you see in front of you?

Also on the netstumbler forums long ago we came up with warsurfing as being a viable term for searching google for public ns1/kismet files out there and uploading them... some people do, and some don't... and whether or not it should happen is pretty much up in the air... again, "we shall see what happens and go from there.... "

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”