Access to cell tower data

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby bja » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:25 am

Am I correct in observing that there is no interface to retrieve cell tower listings, e.g. from the "query" page? It seems that this info is only publicly available on the web map, in a visual display format. I guess it's unclear to me why this data is being collected, e.g. by the Android client when it cannot be retrieved again by the contributor community, but that isn't important. I just want to be clear that there is no public access to the cell tower data you folks are collecting.

Postby uhtu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:45 pm

the webmaps are pretty public.
we've been moving towards using them as our primary data display mechanism, but will probably roll
into JiGLE at some point, it just hasn't been any kind of priority.
-uhtu

Postby bja » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Okay, let me clarify. There is no public programmatic access to the data. Because while it's nice that you display these maps, as far as I can tell you are getting your community to assemble a pretty valuable dataset (cell location info) for free, and you aren't even letting them access it themselves.

It's a shame, because I found your project here and was excited about it until I started looking around, and started noticing things like this. But your Android app is pretty cool, and the fact that it keeps a local database is good. I just don't feel like doing work for you for free.

Postby uhtu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:45 pm

well, you're not doing work for us, and we'll probably get it integrated at some point, it just isn't a priority.
as always, feel free to head elsewhere!

/wave

-uhtu

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”