Real or Memorex?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ithink314 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Not saying nearly 10k per day isn't possible, but is this real, and what is the trick?

91 blackice53 226,206 0.132 318,598 122,727 0 0 0 17-Mar-2006 13-Jan-2015

Could this be what's slowing upload processing lately? :)

Postby khmann2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:37 am

Clearly there are many potential sources of data other than the wigle client on your phone. It's certainly possible that some of this data is leaking from other applications or sources - consider for example US trucking company Sprit which use a WiFi enabled logistics tracking system; a rogue IT person on the backend could probably acquire significant data thru that. Somebody could have reverse-engineered the skyhok XPS tile-cache encryption scheme enabling rogue android flashlight apps all over the world to scrape data... consider Apple with their consolidated.db fiasco of years past - Navizon was willing to pay YOU cash money for that data (see https://web.archive.org/web/20110604191 ... =13&t=4774 :) ... and let's not forget about the latest craze of warshipping.

Anyway, Wigle architects have a significant task to integrate all these differing forms of data and weed out the junk - my concern here would be obsolete (very old) data, which is certainly better than _no_ data but possibly much worse then fresh data in some cases.

Look at the 'bad data in texas' thread, query the GPS coords for Hwy 290 between Austin and Houston, it looks like somebody just driving back and forth while running "FakeAP" http://www.wirelessdefence.org/Contents/FakeAPMain.htm

I for one am passionate about "good data", and have pretty much turned wardriving into a "bodily function" with no less than 2 radios operating on my person at any given time, and as many as 9 in my vehicle when driving.
I like to explain wardriving by comparing wireless networks to Pokémon...

Postby khmann » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:43 am

Maybe the "answer" is a restructuring of - or addition to - the points system. Repeat observations are required to accurately determine a networks location, and especially confirmation of other users submissions is valuable. Long term surveys are valuable, give some measure of credit to "elapsed time" or distance travelled... that poor bastard in TX with a 3 hour commute is never gonna get on the 1st page otherwise ;)

throw some metrics into a monthly "activity" leaderboard?

Postby skymeat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:41 am

A big yagi or two can pick up stuff from very far away, miles. But it does bring up a question of quality. If I drive down a freeway and find an ap 3 miles off is that good data?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”