Why is my Percentage Quality Locations so low?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

23 posts • Page 1 of 2
its like 23% or something like that... and the areas ive discovered havent been discovered by anyone before me... and they are all with GPS (with good signal)

now, could it be that my GPS is slow? it only updates once every 2 seconds or so, so its *possible* that more than one AP has the same location... but 77% loss is pretty damn high! :cry:

Postby arkasha » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:13 am

heya, FLE...
your percentage quality locations is proportional to correlation of GPS signal to networks in your uploads; what kind of files are you submitting (from what stumbling package?), and what do they look like on your end, in terms of GPS?

-a

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:48 am

i was uploading NetStumbler summary files

Postby FLECOM » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:51 am

err... forgot to login...

well the number of networks with gps / without gps is about 97.5%

User: FLECOM
Nets w/GPS: 2,100
Nets w/o GPS: 2,153
Percentage Quality Locations: 22.053%

Postby uhtu » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:12 pm

quality locations are ones not excluded by the filtering we do.
if you see an ap, and your gps or stumbling package is wonked out and reporting you somewhere you aren't, your observation of that ap will not agree with those who've seen it before. in such cases an observation may fall several standard deviations out from the previously averaged location of an AP. we keep all of the observations, so your percentage will change as we reapproximate the location of an AP over time, as its reported by more people.

so its not a "divide gps points by total" kind of number, sorry for the confusion.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:00 pm

ok but what im wondering is that, all the AP's ive found in miami, are ALL The ap's you have for miami...

when i loaded the miami maps there were maybe a few in downtown but thats it...

i did all of the kendall/south miami/coconut grove area which were all new AP's for your database...

so what is there to compare them against? :?

Postby FLECOM » Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:00 pm

GRR!!! ya thats me, i keep forgetting to login :oops:

Postby uhtu » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:52 pm

well, software being what it is: its possible your case has tripped an edge condition in the "goodness" detector.
we'll have a look, and let you know if we find something strange.

Postby FLECOM » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:13 am

well, software being what it is: its possible your case has tripped an edge condition in the "goodness" detector.
we'll have a look, and let you know if we find something strange.
cool :)

no hurry tho, im sure youve got all sorts of stuff to worry about, i was just wondering why i was getting "bad" data scores and what (if anything) i coudld do to improve them

Postby arkasha » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:51 pm

webstumbler's slick, btw; you're gonna work maps in next, right?
*grin*
-a

Postby bobzilla » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:46 pm

Well, the reason is you've submitted over 11,000 observations with lat/long of zero, with different signal strengths, and roughly 3,000 observations with lat/long filled in. Given how our stats math is, it falls out that the percentage calculated of 'observations used for triangulation' is so low.

This stat is kind of a just-for-fun thing, doesn't count towards ranks or anything, so hopefully it won't bug you too much. :)

Postby FLECOM » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:49 am

Well, the reason is you've submitted over 11,000 observations with lat/long of zero, with different signal strengths, and roughly 3,000 observations with lat/long filled in. Given how our stats math is, it falls out that the percentage calculated of 'observations used for triangulation' is so low.

This stat is kind of a just-for-fun thing, doesn't count towards ranks or anything, so hopefully it won't bug you too much. :)
na its not that it bugs me, i just wanted to know if there was something i was doing wrong

but ya im sure i have different sighting of the same ap's since this machine is installed in my car its always running... and 90% of the time im driving to/from the same place through the same streets :roll:

thanks for everyones help tho :D

Postby FLECOM » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:23 am

webstumbler's slick, btw; you're gonna work maps in next, right?
*grin*
-a
actually, im thinking about re-writing parts of it... it has some very nessicary things missing...

i was thinking of GPL'ing it... but i dun really want to becuase then everyone will see what a shitty coder i am :lol:

Postby mycroft » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:56 am

heh, everyone's code looks shitty to other people. don't let that stop you :)

Postby renny » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:25 am

mycroft code seriously sucks!

23 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”