Automatically Upload the Data

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby SebaM90 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 pm

It would be useful to incorporate an option that allows to automatically upload the data to Wiggle every certain amount of time.

Postby arkasha » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 am

I'm looking into this feature right now, and could use some feedback. Assuming you mean uploads via WiGLE WiFi Wardriving, I'm looking to add the following settings options:

1. Upload: [Never | When Connected to WiFi | Whenever Possible ]
2. Upload: [ Every 10 minutes | Every Half Hour | Every 100 New Points | Every 1000 New Points ]

Thoughts?

Postby -kw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Whenever possible would mean there is a kind of uninterrupted upload stream to WiGLE?

I think it would be a good option upload the data at the start of the app. But having more options would please more users of course :P

Postby arkasha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd guess that "whenever possible + every x new points" would perform that function, assuming you have a network connection at startup and assuming you meet the threshold.

Postby pejacoby » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:39 am

Gonna play contrarian -- this feels too much like checking your Facebook feed every 3 minutes... I let WigleWiFi run for HOURS at a time and only upload when I get back a WiFi network I actually can connect to ;-) I don't think I've ever lost data due to my battery dying. As long as you are writing to the database with reasonable regularity, the data is safe without hitting the cloud.

Instant-gratification-gripes aside, would it be confusing to add another choice to the first entry? I'm thinking iOS-like permission to use Cell data for uploads.

1. Upload: [Never | When Connected to WiFi | Use Cellular network | Whenever possible ]
2. Upload: [ Every 10 minutes | Every Half Hour | Every 100 New Points | Every 1000 New Points ]

Postby arkasha » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 am

I'd assumed that "whenever possible" included all WiFi and non-WiFi data connections, as a proxy for "things that could cost you money" - Cell, WiMax, whatever other interesting metered data connections might be hiding behind that API. We assume that a working WiFi connection is a "friendly" network - that might be a little broad, but I figure defaulting to "never" for automatic uploads would effectively preserve the current functionality.

Postby arkasha » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:44 am

So, this is turning out to be a larger change set than I'd expected, so this will be a next-release item.

I'm going to make some authentication and authorization changes that will improve app security (not that your WiGLE credentials should be the keys to the kingdom, but let's do it right.), as well as pave the way for background uploads in the next release. Notably, since automatic uploads shouldn't interfere with normal operation of the application, it will need to be sure that you've either 1. successfully set up your credentials beforehand, or 2. opted for anonymous upload.

Any suggestions for conveying information regarding the upload status in a less obtrusive manner? I'm inclined to simply use the "Toast" notifications to let you know when uploads succeed or fail, but those don't convey status.

Postby pejacoby » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:41 am

>Notably, since automatic uploads shouldn't interfere with normal operation of the application, it will need to be sure that you've either 1. successfully set up your credentials beforehand, or 2. opted for anonymous upload.

How about when enabling automatic upload
IF user credentials are EMPTY then
alert user "Uploads will be Anonymous if you do not set your credentials. [OK] [Cancel and Visit Settings page]"
ELSE
carry on my wayward son

>Any suggestions for conveying information regarding the upload status in a less obtrusive manner?

You'd almost have to have another setting for "Notify me of Upload Status [x]" to not pummel the user with alerts if they pick a low threshold.
Could the toast just read "WiGLE upload [succeeded/failed] - X points sent" ?
Or how about a regular system notification which would stick around if the user wanted to review?

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”