Data on User Uploads

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby dattransit » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:05 pm

I was wondering if there is any publicly available data on user uploads? Even something as basic as: [id, public user number, record time stamp, number of nets, number of new nets] would be interesting to look at.

Postby arkasha » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Because it could diminish user privacy, we decided to not publish this information. You can see how many networks a user has uploaded this month on the stats page (just click on the column headers for sorting), but we avoid presenting too much information that could be correlated with maps/searches that might allow you to figure out too much about a user's identity or location.

Postby dattransit » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 am

Because it could diminish user privacy, we decided to not publish this information. You can see how many networks a user has uploaded this month on the stats page (just click on the column headers for sorting), but we avoid presenting too much information that could be correlated with maps/searches that might allow you to figure out too much about a user's identity or location.
I understand and respect your views on user privacy. Would you consider the request removing the only questionable data, public user number? This would leave [record id, record time stamp, number of nets, number of new nets]. Excluding user specific data, I am particularly interested in (number of new nets):(number of nets) per upload and per day.

Given my user name there exists a user id number - a row in the data table identifying my place when I joined. A public user number would be a random alpha-numerical string that could not be associated with a user name or id number. Given the number of participants it would be possible to associate a specific user with the the number of networks uploaded a month. Would you consider adding the statistics on the number of new nets added per user each month to the summary information on <https://wigle.net/stats>? Including a public user number I would be looking at average, max, and min nets uploaded per user per day.

In the mobile app I can see my month and previous month rankings. Is it possible to see a table of monthly user rankings on the website?

Postby arkasha » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:07 pm

The issue with a public user ID token is that those can be mapped back to user name and location through correlation.

it sounds to me like what you're interested in is the ratio between new:previously-seen over time; can you provide some use case information to help us think about creative solutions?

Cheers,

Postby dattransit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:18 am

The issue with a public user ID token is that those can be mapped back to user name and location through correlation.
Yep, I understand.
it sounds to me like what you're interested in is the ratio between new:previously-seen over time; can you provide some use case information to help us think about creative solutions?
In my area I average a ~50% new:observed on a run. First and foremost, I'm curious where this falls among the average user.

I pay attention to the users close to me and what they are likely to gain in the month so that I may be strategic about my uploads. I travel between several large cities and urban areas with varying degrees of users (based on the public map of networks discovered by others). Anything to improve my understanding of what I need to do to improve or maintain my rank would is appreciated.

I will also add stats on average average (nets discovered : run distance) would be interesting but I'm guessing run distance is lost between runs and / or therefore not uploaded.

Seeing statistics on the number of discovered : observed nets on a daily basis would show if a delay in processing was due to general user uploads or a possible server side issue.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”