No GPS credit

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ajerion » Thu May 13, 2004 4:39 pm

I just uploaded a file from netstumbler that had GPS for all but 3 of the discovered networks but according to the upload none of the networks had GPS coords, any idea why?

I tried re-uploading the file with out the 3 that were missing GPS Coords and they still show up with no GPS.

Postby uhtu » Thu May 13, 2004 7:42 pm

okay. we can have a look.. what's the transid/filename?

Postby uhtu » Fri May 14, 2004 12:32 am

parsed fine.
turns out there just weren't any new networks in the file.

we've seen that happening more and more as you cover areas that have been seen already, but new APs pop up all the time.

also note: we do handle netsumbler native .ns1 files just fine, you
don't need to export them to post.

Postby Guest » Sun May 16, 2004 7:16 pm

Ya, i had uploaded those few networks before but it was before I got my GPS working. So I redid them with GPS, but its not taking the GPS Coords now.

Is there no way to upload APs with GPS that have already been uploaded with out GPS?

Postby Guest » Sun May 16, 2004 7:17 pm

Whoops, wasnt logged in.

Postby bobzilla » Sun May 16, 2004 10:31 pm

Any new GPS coords for a network are put in the database and used for triangulation, so if your file does have GPS coords they are being used.

Keep in mind that you only get ranking credit for a network that is both new to WiGLE and has GPS coords.

Postby mentat » Sat May 22, 2004 2:54 pm

I've been wondering about this too. So you're saying that if a network is found without GPS, and if GPS coordinates are later supplied, that network does not become a new network with GPS? Does it just change in the aggregate stats then? Or does it not affect stats at all?

Postby bobzilla » Tue May 25, 2004 1:35 am

The site stats are built from the db at large, so the hypothetical point would be part of the nets-with-gps stat. An interesting side effect is that the person who originally found the net will get credit for it. We've argued about whether this is correct behaviour or not. I like to think of it as a way for those without GPSes to still play along. But it also rewards people who don't post located networks, which are far more valuable. In the end we've left it how it is.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”