JiGLE - OpenBSD

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ax0n » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:59 pm

My OpenBSD stumbling rig is pretty weak. P90, 40 megs of RAM, 4G Hard Drive.

Right now, even mozilla's a pain in the butt to use (too much memory) so I stick to using WiGLE's web maps with Links in GUI mode. It works, except when I don't have 'net or if WiGLE's busy triangulating someone's logs (which means it isn't possible all that often)

I'm at an impasse as far as getting evil Java working on this machine. Nothing I can find will work on it. The source code that most of the ports want is impossible to find, and the links to patches I've seen for the (impossible to find) source code are usually 404's or timeouts.

I'm not some kind of helpless n00b. I'd consider myself a salty dog as far as UNIX stuff goes, but due to my absolute hatred of Java, I don't ever mess with it. That's not helping me a whole lot in my situation. I'm throwing everything at this that I can think of (because I really like how DiGLE on windows) to make it run on OpenBSD, but this Java snag is kicking my ass.

Any takers?

I saw there might be a Linux native (C? C++? ASM? Perl? Shell Script? Anything other than Java? please?) client for WiGLE in the works... how's that coming along? I can probably compile it on BSD or at least run the binary with linux emulation.

Postby uhtu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:10 pm

older versions of jigle ran fine on my openbsd laptop, using the linux 1.3 jvm in binary emulation.

however, the newer (vector) version of jigle require 1.4 and alot of memory, and i haven't found a working 1.4 for openbsd yet.

writing clients is a lot of fun, and you can get most of your questions answered via the jigle source, or asking here on on #wigle on the wigle irc server..

a gtk client would be entirely doable for the raster stuff, i suspect.

my text-mode client isn't coming along as fast as i'd hoped, or i'd throw that at ya for a starting point :-)

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”