So what happens when...

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ax0n » Fri May 27, 2005 6:49 am

Let's say I upload a log file without GPS data (possibly unintentionally, or maybe old uploads from before I had a GPS) that has a TON of AP's in it. I upload, get points for total AP's found, but not for AP's with GPS Data...

Then... hypothetical situation:

Let's say I later on drive the same area again except with GPS. I find the same SSID's and BSSID's. Same everything but this time I have GPS coords to go with them. Do I get points for new AP's with GPS data? Or do you just add the GPS points onto the existing stations in the database?

Also, I have KisMAC running but sometmes AP's are marked with an average or max signal strength of 0. It just saw the AP but didn't get a good lock on it. Those AP's don't seem to get counted, or they didn't last time I uploaded a KisMAC file which was some time ago. Is that intentional?

Postby scruge » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:13 pm

I'd like to know the same thing, but I'm not that concerned with the awarding of the points, although its important.

How is the gps data updated?
Example... You have an equipment malfunction and your gps hangs at one coordinate and mean while you record 2000 aps on a 100 mile drive between 2 cities and upload to wigle. How can that be fixed? Or does your system automatically update if those same aps are uploaded by others?

Other example. One person drives with highgain antenna and records all aps within a 3 block radius of his path on a main blvd and uploads to wigle. A few days later a bunch of warbikers work the same area but record far more accurate data because they are working the side streets with low gain antenna. How does your system update?

Postby ax0n » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:21 pm

Well, I can answer that. Technically, it "averages" the coords. So if you get GPS data that's wrong (like when dstumbler unpatched uses the wrong GPS data format) and more people upload the correct data, the AP node will gradually move on the map closer to it's real location. Or that's how it was explained in an earlier discussion.

I just wanted to know, if someone uploads AP's with no GPS data, are new location GPS points added when they're driven again but GPS data is uploaded.

Postby rage » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:17 pm

Well, I can answer that. Technically, it "averages" the coords. So if you get GPS data that's wrong (like when dstumbler unpatched uses the wrong GPS data format) and more people upload the correct data, the AP node will gradually move on the map closer to it's real location. Or that's how it was explained in an earlier discussion.

I just wanted to know, if someone uploads AP's with no GPS data, are new location GPS points added when they're driven again but GPS data is uploaded.
heh, i'd love to know the answer to that one too. my first couple days, my gps was ot sending signals, and i didn't realise it. uploaded about 800 nets... i redrive them daily almost, don't think it's credited me with them however.
Last edited by rage on Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drivers - Are you being paid fairly? [url=http://www.xdelivery.org]Find out here![/url]

Postby mark571 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:18 pm

Let's say I upload a log file without GPS data (possibly unintentionally, or maybe old uploads from before I had a GPS) that has a TON of AP's in it. I upload, get points for total AP's found, but not for AP's with GPS Data...

Then... hypothetical situation:

Let's say I later on drive the same area again except with GPS. I find the same SSID's and BSSID's. Same everything but this time I have GPS coords to go with them. Do I get points for new AP's with GPS data? Or do you just add the GPS points onto the existing stations in the database?

Also, I have KisMAC running but sometmes AP's are marked with an average or max signal strength of 0. It just saw the AP but didn't get a good lock on it. Those AP's don't seem to get counted, or they didn't last time I uploaded a KisMAC file which was some time ago. Is that intentional?
Let's look at two columns,

1. Discovered Networks with GPS
and
2. All Networks Recorded

Item 2 is the number for all networks you've seen with or without GPS and #1 is only those with GPS. If you log a network you previously saw that did not have a GPS coordinate, but this time does, and you upload it the column 1 number will go up and you get a point. Column 2 does not change because it's already included there.

I can't answer the KisMAC issue.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”