Best Android for WigleWifi

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby arkasha » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:09 pm

I know that the cheapest-possible stumbling device crowd uses old Samsung S3/S4s running Lineage OS and love how fast the radios tune, but that's a bit of work to get them running a recent-enough version of Android.

I do a lot of my stumbling on an older Moto G5 which should be pretty darn cheap at this point, lasts a half-marathon stumbling and remains above 50% charge.

Postby justinolan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:50 am

I think you would want something with a very good antenna built in to receive as much signal as possible. That would mean an "tablet" sized android device. As an added benefit the tablets usually have a much much bigger battery then something smaller like an "phone" size. You should be able get a used older one for somewhat cheap. I am using a LG-V495 and it has amazing signal range and battery life. It's 5 years old but works great (speed-wize) for wardriving.

Postby d2k2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:37 pm

the S7 (android 8 ) is a better option than the S4, about 2x the bluetooth, and 10x the celltowers: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2498#p10290
(but no match to a rpi...)

i would also like to know a better phone, but it has to run then android 10, as with 9 you will get nothing. The short time my huawei p10 was android 8 it outperformed the S7, but then on android 9 it got useless.

Postby arkasha » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Seeing fantastic results with the Pixel 5 / unthrottled. I don't have older/cheaper pixels to compare against, but perhaps older Pixel models will be similarly good?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”