Newbie needs help with laptop wifi

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby smf834 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the website, and i've used the search button to try to look for what I need. I'm not trying to steal neighbor's signal, so we're straight. I live near a FREE wifi hotspot, and i'm trying to see what i can do to extend my laptop's wifi strength to try to get a signal to surf the web. Can it be done? It's approx. only about 1000 ft.

Is there a manual somewhere I can read on this website?

Any help is much appreciated!
Hi,

I'm new to the website, and i've used the search button to try to look for what I need. I'm not trying to steal neighbor's signal, so we're straight. I live near a FREE wifi hotspot, and i'm trying to see what i can do to extend my laptop's wifi strength to try to get a signal to surf the web. Can it be done? It's approx. only about 1000 ft.

Is there a manual somewhere I can read on this website?

Any help is much appreciated!
What kind of free wifi? Starbucks? Holiday Inn? You're best bet would probably to ask the owners of the network what equipment to use to connect to it.

Postby smf834 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:35 pm

It's a hotel chain. I usually have no trouble when i brought my laptop into the lobby. So i guess it's just a matter of extending my signal strength.

Postby bobzilla » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:37 pm

If you have permission, an external directional antenna might help. an amp might help a lot. Available all over, such as at: http://www.fab-corp.com/

Postby themacuser » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:24 pm

A big 16dbi or 19dbi dish antenna will work very well, mounted on your roof.

Postby bobfunland » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:52 am

It's a hotel chain. I usually have no trouble when i brought my laptop into the lobby. So i guess it's just a matter of extending my signal strength.
Generally, a hotel provides wifi for its customers and guests. You say you "usually have no trouble" when you surf in the lobby. Have you asked the manager if it is ok to use his network? Also, depending on the what equipment the hotel uses and environment variables (trees, buildings etc), an external antenna may or may not work.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”