Free Alternative to GPS Gate

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby NetBandit » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:14 pm

A while back I saw a post where someone had a free alternative to GPS Gate. I downloaded the 'HW Virtual Serial Port' program from www.hw-group.com but don't really dig it. There was one that looked very similar to GPS Gate that was free.

In case you don't know what I am talking about, GPS Gate takes the data from one 'COM' port and then relay's it to other virtual ports. This allows you to use multiple programs that use the GPS simultaneously (like NetStumbler and MS Streets and Trips).

Eventually I will be moving to Linux, but I still want to have something when using Windoze.

-NB

Postby NetBandit » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:51 pm

FOUND IT! It's Called XPort.

This is the one I was looking for. Still haven't tried it yet, but this is the one I remember seeing way back when:

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html

If anyone else has any other good free ones, by all means share!

-NB

Postby themacuser » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:24 am

When you move to Linux, use gpsd (well, kismet requires it anyway) - it listens on a TCP port, so there's none of this serial port stupidity...

Postby bobfunland » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:28 pm

FOUND IT! It's Called XPort.

This is the one I was looking for. Still haven't tried it yet, but this is the one I remember seeing way back when:

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html

If anyone else has any other good free ones, by all means share!

-NB
That's what I've been using. Haven't really had any problems with it so far.

Postby NetBandit » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 pm

UPDATE:

I've been using Xport for a few weeks now, and it works well. The only feature that Xport is missing is a status indicator (for when your GPS has signal). In GPS Gate it would switch from red (no gps) to orange (gps, but no signal), to green (good signal). Maybe the Xport guys can add that in a future version.

-NB

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”