Setting up a BT-353 in Backtrack 3

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby johnnyca » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 am

I'm having some trouble getting my Globalsat BU-353 USB device to talk to my Backtrack installation (I use it for Kismet; it integrates well with my Eee 900 PC).

I noticed that plenty of folks have one and it's working with Kismet, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

I assume the problem is that I don't know how to set up my USB port into a virtual com port (I'm not sure what that means, but it's what it says on the box). Am I correct? Can anyone suggest a solution or drop some links to get me started in the right direction?

NOTE: using the command "lusb," it turns up Prolific Technology, which should mean that it recognizes the device. Issuing another couple commands, "gpsd /dev/tts/USB0" and "telnet localhost 2947" opens a connection but no data is passed.

Postby johnnyca » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:16 am

The answer seems to be to use an older version of gpsd, but I'm not able to download the zip. :/

http://www.netstumbler.org/showpost.php ... count=1600

Postby whitedice » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:37 am

The answer seems to be to use an older version of gpsd, but I'm not able to download the zip. :/

http://www.netstumbler.org/showpost.php ... count=1600
I clicked on the link you have there, and clicked to download the file, and downloaded it without a problem just a second ago. Opened the zip file just to verify a good d/l, and it opened. So... Not sure what to tell ya, other than that is the file I used to get #s.

Postby johnnyca » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Part of the reason is that the netstumbler forum requires an authenticated account -- something more than just clicking a link in the activation email.

Anyways, everything is up and running as of this morning. I watched as my Kismet lit up 250 nearby networks in just 11 minutes. How's that for a first run?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”