What kit are you using?

The gear needed for wardriving

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby venture37 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm

I bought WiFiFoFum & Wifi-Where initially & have just added yfy to my iphone aswell, I really like Wifi-Where so far because of the flexibility in the data it exports aswell as wingle.net support. What soft/hardware are you using to gather data??

Postby york2600 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:27 am

I started with WiFiFoFum since it was the original. When WiFiWhere came out I switched for the automatic Wigle uploads, but it's very buggy. I've experienced far too many failed uploads to Wigle to really utilize the feature. Also the scan rate is far slower than WiFiFoFum, which makes for poor scanning while driving. Hopefully the shortcomings of WiFiWhere can be fixed and then it'll truly be the best war driving / walking / biking app out there.

Postby venture37 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 am

I'd be more keen to use WiFiFoFum over Wifi-Where if it allowed me to specify my wigle details, I haven't had any problems with Wifi-Where so far, feature wise Wifi-Where gets it right for me, apparently they're waiting for apple to clear a new release, 1.1? looking forward to seeing the new release of yFy aswell if that will have direct wiggle support, though I'd say they need to find a UI designer as the interface looks very tacky though this is purely a cosmetic thing.

Postby MetatronBN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm running whatever is the latest release of Kismet as off today, I just got round to grabbing the source and compiling it, instead of using an old build. I also updated my copy of GPSd.

Hardwarewise, I'm running the smallest, cheapest laptop I had laying about not doing much, which is a Dell X300, I'm using a GlobalSat BU-353 water proof USB GPS receiver, an Alfa USB wireless card with a 9dBi omnidirectional antenna and I'm powering everything off a APC TravelPower Adapter TPA90DC.

I was tempted to use more than one card and some kind of directional antennas, like directional patch or parabolic antennas, but thought the figures would be less useful when it comes to any one wanting to use them to find open AP's and don't have a 27dBi antenna to get on from the GPS position it was fixed at. I was also a little tempted to use sector antennas but the same problem is there.

I also have a Nokia N900 running Kismet.

Postby bobzilla » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I finally got sick of fighting old school Lucent Orinoco pcmcia cards/firmware/drivers and rs-232 serial GPS and decided to refresh with all USB gear. So far so good, system is stable and collects well. Easy on and off, GPS is powered by laptop so one less thing to feed batteries to, or turn back on after a stop at the gas station.

Runs Fedora, threw new version on and took a chance on trying to get everything to work from rpm packages. And for the first time that actually worked: put OS on bare drive, yum'd Kismet and GPSd and had a working stumbler in under an hour, instead of days of futzing with it. So I was able to spend some time playing with a perl script to text-to-speech the specific thing I wanted while driving instead of banging head on infrastructure.

Kudos to all the device manufacturers, programmers and good old fab-corp for coming so far in making things that Just Work. This is so much easier than it was in 2001 :)
  • Hawking Technology-Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter-HWUG1A
    Two 1 Watt Amps from fab-corp.com
    Two mag-mount omni antennas
    Garmin 18x USB mag-mount GPS (not shown)
    IBM X30 Thinkpad

Postby MetatronBN » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

I finally got sick of fighting old school Lucent Orinoco pcmcia cards/firmware/drivers and rs-232 serial GPS and decided to refresh with all USB gear. So far so good, system is stable and collects well. Easy on and off, GPS is powered by laptop so one less thing to feed batteries to, or turn back on after a stop at the gas station.

Runs Fedora, threw new version on and took a chance on trying to get everything to work from rpm packages. And for the first time that actually worked: put OS on bare drive, yum'd Kismet and GPSd and had a working stumbler in under an hour, instead of days of futzing with it. So I was able to spend some time playing with a perl script to text-to-speech the specific thing I wanted while driving instead of banging head on infrastructure.

Kudos to all the device manufacturers, programmers and good old fab-corp for coming so far in making things that Just Work. This is so much easier than it was in 2001 :)
    IBM X30 Thinkpad
Why are you using an amp? Kismet is passive.

Postby littledave » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:34 pm

IBM X30 Thinkpad
Why are you using an amp? Kismet is passive.

I'll bet it for the
18 dB Receive gain

This is mine

Mobo, cards, amps everything runs off one cigarette lighter plug

You have to have ethernet, usb and antenna connectors.

Last edited by littledave on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby littledave » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 pm

IBM X30 Thinkpad

So power cable and 1 usb to the laptop, inverter and box in the back or on the floor?

Postby bobzilla » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Aye, the amps have receive gain. Very noticeable, turn em on and watch the list of detected AP's double. Power+USB to laptop, plug to inverter, 2 wifi and 1 gps antenna out to magmount on trunk. Usually use a port replicator for easier in-and-out, and keeps laptop up off seat for better cooling.

littledave: love that case.

Postby icurnet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:29 pm

I bought WiFiFoFum & Wifi-Where initially & have just added yfy to my iphone aswell, I really like Wifi-Where so far because of the flexibility in the data it exports aswell as wingle.net support. What soft/hardware are you using to gather data??
I summarized a post here: http://wigle.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1408
  • 3 - Hawking HWUG1s, Ubiquiti pcmcia on 5dBi ext omni, D-Link ANT24-0230 antenna, laptop w/kismet
I am trying to find a method to use one 1w amplifier (receive) w/one external antenna and 3-4 radios. I have e-mails going back and forth w/vendors at the moment.

Postby littledave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:14 am

• 3 - Hawking HWUG1s, Ubiquiti pcmcia on 5dBi ext omni, D-Link ANT24-0230 antenna, laptop w/kismet
I am trying to find a method to use one 1w amplifier (receive) w/one external antenna and 3-4 radios. I have e-mails going back and forth w/vendors at the moment.
If you can make that work post it. That would mean that I wouldn't have 6 antennas on the roof :shock:

Postby icurnet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:20 pm

If you can make that work post it. That would mean that I wouldn't have 6 antennas on the roof :shock:
Will do. It will be less hardware but in the end it might cost the same as seperate components (amp, antennas, pigtails, cable mess, etc.) but I will post the information when I complete gathering it so follow this thread.
------------------------------------------------
amateur radio, wifi enthusiast

12 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”