Any iPhone wardrivers?

The gear needed for wardriving

14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby nuxiy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 am

Hi!

Is there anyone else using iPhone to wardriving (or warwalking, etc.) and would like to share some experiences with it? What apps you are using?

I know that iPhone wardriving problably discover less wireless networks than a "real" wardriving rig (GPS+Laptop+Extra antenna), but I can easily find 500 networks after half hour drive.

If I ever get cash to some real equipment I'd give it a try, but I'm not too sure about the support for GPS on MacBooks, or external antenna.

nuxiy.

Postby harrysachz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Just started with the iPhone myself. It can't get any easier than having your iPhone in your pocket / on your dashboard and collect info as you go.

As for the MacBook, I've been collecting info with Kismac and an Alfa antenna. Still looking for a compatible GPS though...

Postby nuxiy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Just started with the iPhone myself. It can't get any easier than having your iPhone in your pocket / on your dashboard and collect info as you go.

As for the MacBook, I've been collecting info with Kismac and an Alfa antenna. Still looking for a compatible GPS though...
I have KisMAC installed on my MacBook, and bought the GlobalSat BU-353 GPS today on a US netshop (I saw it recommended on this forum and other reviews for Mac OS X). Only need an external antenna or WiFi booster that works with the MacBook.

Postby Legodude » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:07 pm

I do a bit of wardriving on my iPhone using WiFiFoFum. Otherwise I do most of my wardriving on my iBook + Alfa wireless adapter.
Last edited by Legodude on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby nuxiy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 pm

I do a bit of wardriving on my iPhone using WiFiFoFum. Otherwise I do most of my wardriving on my iBook + Alfa wireless adapter.
Do you use an external antenna with the wireless adapter or the one that comes with the package?

Postby Legodude » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Do you use an external antenna with the wireless adapter or the one that comes with the package?
Check my signature. I usually use an external antenna mounted on the trunk of my car and have that hooked up to the Alfa adapter that's plugged into my iBook.
Exactly what LegoDude said... The Alfa adapter and external antenna pick up an incredible amount of information.

Everyone is talking about this GlobalSat BU-353 GPS around here, and think I may pick one of those up soon. Need an actual MacBook first. Been running OS X on a modded Dell Mini9 and KisMac has continual crashing issues. Waiting for a MacBook Pro refresh from Apple before picking one up (hopefully soon).

Postby venture37 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 am

I bought yfy network finder, WiFiFoFum & wifi-where of the three wifi-where is the best one imo, it supports exporting to multiple formats & upload to wigle.net built in

Postby doommaster » Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Still looking for a compatible GPS though...
any simple (more or less) Bluetooth GPS will do fine, just use gpsdX

I have an older qstarz GPSreceiver and since DGPS works again in Europe (last year sometime the service got back on) most times the HDOP is at 0.8

Postby macformat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:30 pm

me!, Im from Guadalajara Mexico
using 3gs 32gb iphone with wifi-where or sometimes wififorum.
the thing I dont like is that gps accuracy is not too good, and wifi sensibility wouldbe better.

almost all in my city was drawed by me.

I prefer Vistumbler or Inssider with a BT gps. the data and extensive log makes coverage map almost accurate with kml google output......

:D but iphone is practical......

Postby Tech^CF » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Using Wifi-Where on my iPhone 3G. About 2000 points a month. Thinking about getting a dedicated cheap android unit for wardriving.

Apple has stopped all wardriving application, so none of them have multitasking support.

Postby pejacoby » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:32 am

@Tech^CF, if you can jailbreak, you can run WiFiFoFum, the latest version 2.1.3 is available via Cydia and runs great on my iPod Touch with OS3.1.3 and an external GPS.

Postby fishb0ne » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 am

I know this thread is old but no sense in opening a new one just because of it.
Also started using my iPhone 5 + WiFiFoFum to wardrive and I'm actually kinda impressed by the amount of APs this thing is picking up.
Does anyone know, in the grander scheme of things, how the iPhone in general performs in terms of reach/ability to pick up wifis?

Postby guardiangu » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:14 am

I am using the Iphone 4 and saw that I could no longer get Wififofum. I am not too keen on jailbreaking my phone just yet.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”