Show your wardriving stuff/box

The gear needed for wardriving

22 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby gpsfreemap » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Im interested in pictures of your wardriving boxes/vehicles/improvements, lets share ideas to make wardriving better.
Lets share ! Show your stuff.

Postby bobzilla » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:22 pm

There are a couple threads with folks' creations:

http://wigle.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1279
http://wigle.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1378
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby kdn1480 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Sensor: ALFA AWUS051NH
GPS: BU-353
Software: Backtrack 5.

Usually I hang the sensor and GPS from the rear view mirror. The GPS is magnetic, but on the dash its constantly sliding off.
Right now I am using my samsung galaxy s2 with wigle. I have in the past few days discovered kismac, but i'm having problems kismac recognize my phones' gps via bluetooth. I have an old thinkpad lying around, so that will be made into a linux machine. I have to get a usb gps and some wifi cards as I have seen others use or mention here on the forum.

Postby mpeg4ever » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Right now I am using my samsung galaxy s2 with wigle. I have in the past few days discovered kismac, but i'm having problems kismac recognize my phones' gps via bluetooth. I have an old thinkpad lying around, so that will be made into a linux machine. I have to get a usb gps and some wifi cards as I have seen others use or mention here on the forum.
I started too sith the S2, works great, also in high-density AP areas. Looks nice. I'd rather go to a box-to-leave-in-car solution though...anybody selling one ?

Postby mpeg4ever » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am

Me too with Android Smartphones so no pix to share.. :(
I had in the past a laptop with PCMCIA and external magnetic 7 dBi omni antenna which worked pretty good.
If pix are shared, please write down the specs of the cards & antennas so we can understand if we can do some similar as well.
Thanks and have a nice Wiggling 2013 !
Alex (Italy)

Postby cyphonix » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Any other pictures or component lists? I'm curious as to what folks are using.

To the right of my rear view mirror is my dash cam. On top of the mirror is an LG Optimus One (P500h) that's been setup with Tasker to:

Automatically start Wigle on powerup, and "Auto-Open Wifi Connection" to automatically login to open wifi and ping my server with my gps coordinates.

Daily (Working on, but not yet implemented): Automatically upload my observed nets when I login to my home network ... it's an easy task with Tasker, but the function appears to be private inside Wigle ... I might ask Bobzilla for some help after I've exhausted my review of the source code :)

Play store links:
Tasker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.taskerm
Auto-Open Wifi Connection: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... enwififree

Postby garnet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:09 am

9326136172_17a0592d66.jpg
9326136172_17a0592d66.jpg (137.82 KiB) Viewed 41352 times
Check out my bitchin' big screen rig

Postby dattaway » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:08 am

I have noticed my new Galaxy S4 picks up twice as many as my old broken S2 did. Apparently, it does 5GHz too. And then I flipped it over so the antenna side was up....doubled the performance again...should have done that from the beginning lol. So, I'm covering all my old routes and getting an easy 1,000 new points an hour.

It may be just a phone, but it sure beats lugging around a ratsnest of loose USB cables and wonky mounted antennas.

Postby garnet » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:30 am

After the first time running with both a Nexus One and a brand new Raspberry Pi with an Alfa AWUS036H w/ a 9db antenna (and swapping it w/ a yagi half way through the run), I'm almost inclined to agree with you - I know that I don't have my Pi completely optimized, but I think my phone outperformed my new "rig", which is kind of sad. I need to work through the numbers to confirm this, though... but at the very least I thought that the Linux box and Alfa would perform better than it did...

http://www.wpsantennas.com/tra80617103- ... rsity.aspx TRA806/17103 - Antenex Phantom Low Profile Multi-Band Antenna (White) with Patented Field Diversity.

I plan on experimenting to see what kind of results I get by connecting this to my HTC mytouch 3g phone. The phone doesn't have a SIM (hence no data) so uploads of scan are done when I have a wifi connection at home. It is also my 2nd phone, so I'm not really concerned if this doesn't work. I can always re assemble the phone. My primary phone is a Galaxy S2. I use the 2 phones all the time, driving, walking, riding my bike, etc. Macbook pro with bu-353 gps when I am in the car, bus or train. Between the 3, I get pretty good coverage and pick up a few thousand APs. In jersey where I am, there are only houses but in NYC high rises prevail so my upload vary depending on where I stumble.

Wish I discovered Wigle a few years ago when I worked in Manhattan, being an engineer traveling from site to site my stats would have been higher.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Postby icurnet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 pm

After the first time running with both a Nexus One and a brand new Raspberry Pi with an Alfa AWUS036H w/ a 9db antenna (and swapping it w/ a yagi half way through the run), I'm almost inclined to agree with you - I know that I don't have my Pi completely optimized, but I think my phone outperformed my new "rig", which is kind of sad. I need to work through the numbers to confirm this, though... but at the very least I thought that the Linux box and Alfa would perform better than it did...

Garnet, that is still really small and a platform for automation of your tasks. I want one!
------------------------------------------------
amateur radio, wifi enthusiast

Postby Whig » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:57 am

My warwalk box is pretty simple.

Raspberry Pi + USB GPS + Alfa + TP-Link antenna + Samsung battery
On RasPi I have script that start kismet and GPS automatically and checks if GPS is connected and if not then start to turn off the RasPi so it will always shutdown correctly =)

So when I start warwalking/wardriving I just need to turn on the battery (there is on/off switch on it) and when I want to end my warwalk/wardrive I just unplug the GPS and after about 20-30sec I can turn off the battery.
And it will run about 6-7 hours with that battery if I remember right...

Postby icurnet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Whig, I like it! Small, compact, efficient.
------------------------------------------------
amateur radio, wifi enthusiast

22 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”