Alternatives to Alfa AWUS036H

The gear needed for wardriving

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby pumpkin100 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:59 pm

Hello,

I have an Eee PC which uses the AR928X Wireless Network Adapter. Let's call this wlan0.

I also have an external Alfa AWUS036H RTL8187 Wireless Adapter. Let's call this wlan1.

Both of these work well with Kismet but the Alfa provides superior signal strength. I prefer to war-walk or actually sit somewhere while using Kismet. I have noticed people looking strangely at me probably because they don't know what the Alfa is.

Can someone recommend me a USB card that just slots into the USB. No long wires like my Alfa. Just a nice discreet USB with an antenna but one that provides the same capabilities as the Alfa (for example, the same great chipset).

Or, if this is not possible, could someone please explain why such a device does not exist.

Thank you - very much appreciated.

Postby m86 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:59 am

A dongle with a 5dBi antenna sticking out of it might not exactly be discreet. It would also be somewhat more vulnerable to damage than a cabled adapter. There wouldn't be much in that form factor as good as the AWUS036H anyway (especially for anything requiring a transmitter).

that being said, there are a fair number of dongles with RP-SMA connectors. if you want one with a RTL8187L, try a ALFA Network AWUS036EH or a Rosewill RNX-G1 (may be the same adapter). alternatively, something like the TP-LINK TL-WN722N (Atheros AR9271) or CC&C WL-2203S-V3 (ZyDAS ZD1211B, looks like this, on DX) would probably be good choices.
Last edited by m86 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bobzilla » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:55 pm

I use several Hawking HWUG1A usb wifi with Kismet.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”