Hidden networks and android

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby lomsdalen » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:43 am

I have tried using the wigle app to android, but it does not seem to record any hidden networks, is there any way for me to make it do this?

Postby uhtu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 pm

er, how do you mean hidden?
the app does not (and won't) probe, if that that's what you're looking for.
we just record what comes back from the android system framework for visible networks.

Postby bobzilla » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:23 pm

The Android OS, on any device we've tested with, doesn't probe networks, or listen promiscuously for traffic, so if the wifi router has the beacon off it won't be seen.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby urizen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:43 pm

The wigle.net app does record my own "hidden" network when I'm connected to it. Is there a way to tell the app to ignore a particular network?

Postby urizen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:36 am

Hmm... well, I managed to exclude my network with a grep -v on the CSV file, but it would be nice if there were an easier way so I could upload directly from my phone...

Postby mpeg4ever » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 am

er, how do you mean hidden?
the app does not (and won't) probe, if that that's what you're looking for.
we just record what comes back from the android system framework for visible networks.
Ah cool, didn't sniff that yet to understand, not a big user...yet.
So it just scans the channels passively ?
What about dual band smartphones ? Hears both 2.4 and 5 GHz ?
Compliments for the code btw.
regards
Alex

Postby kaiyara » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:30 am

I use a Raspberry Pi with my "discrete" setup (Raspberry Pi, Alfa USB adapter, 12000 mAH batter pack, BU-353 GPS, 7dB magnetic mount mobile antenna)... It runs Kali Linux and works well. I just put a few instructions into /etc/rc.local to initiate gpsd, airmon and kismet server.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”