Wigle Wifi Wardriving Android App and Tasker

The gear needed for wardriving

9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I've been trying to help out with wigle while I drive around by running it while my phone is in my car dock.

I was trying to setup a Tasker profile to open the Wigle app when the Docked Car context is active and close it when not. I've got the app opening fine when I dock my phone in my car but it will not seem to stop when I take it out. I have setup a Close Wigle task as the exit task for the Wigle profile. In the Close Wigle task I use: Kill App, App Wigle, Use Root On. It successfully closes it for about 2-3 seconds every time and then the Wigle service stops right back up.

I am/was excited to wardrive anytime I drive anywhere but if I cannot make it automated I may have to throw in the towel on this one. Any thoughts?

-Scott
Not sure on that one. If the Tasker goo is killing the app and not the associated service, then that won't help much, as the service is what keeps all the scanning alive. Do they have an option to shut down services? You could email us an android system log from an app like aLogcat while it is happening, maybe something will become obvious. We're at: wigle-admin[at]wigle.net
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
I've the same "problem". I would like to stop Wigle Wifi by Tasker as soon as the car cradl is disconnected. But the app restarts itself.

Is there a Intent with which I can shutdown the app / service?
Not sure on that one. If the Tasker goo is killing the app and not the associated service, then that won't help much, as the service is what keeps all the scanning alive. Do they have an option to shut down services? You could email us an android system log from an app like aLogcat while it is happening, maybe something will become obvious. We're at: wigle-admin[at]wigle.net
Not to necro an old post...except here I am doing it. :D All of the Googling in the world results in only this thread, where the problem was never resolved. (There are -dozens- of us, I swear.)

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the middle of configuring an NFC sticker on my new dash mount to do a few car-oriented things that I always want done whenever I'm driving.

Things like: Start a minimal, driving-oriented home screen, start Wigle, and start Waze.

The starting-up of these things is easy, but the shutting-down of them is problematic on modern non-rooted Android devices -- there's no solid method for one usermode app to stop another usermode app (probably for good reason). This makes getting out of the car more difficult than it should be unless I want my battery to be quickly drained from GPS-using apps.

I'm a little bit lax on my Android terminology, but I am able to send a Broadcast Intent (I think) using Tasker to signify to Waze that it I'd like it to shut down. All I have to do is broadcast "Eliran_Close_Intent" and Waze quietly (and presumably cleanly) closes.

This is apparently a (magic, undocumented-ish) hook built into Waze.

Can we get a similar hook in Wigle? I'd like to run it all the time when driving, but I'd like to spend as little time as possible managing this.

(There appears to be several methods for telling apps to do things like shut down, but I'm only familiar with the method that Waze uses.)
no need to apologize - it's a good feature request. We'll start looking into it, post some options here!
oh, ok - that turns out to be really easy.

I'm going to include it using the action name: net.wigle.wigleandroid.END

just like with waze, it'll be that as the action name, and target will be: BroadcastReceiver

this will be in the next release.
I had to smile reading this "necro-thread" -- one new post for a (semi-arcane) feature request, two days pause, BINGO it's in the next release.

That's damn impressive for any piece of software. Kudos to you guys for everything that makes @wiglenet wiggle (just a little bit).
we cut the corners and pass the savings on to you! :D
I would like to commend you on the level of service I've experienced during our interaction. This would be a bargain at twice the price.

Also: Thanks! Awesome stuff.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”