A quick Google Nexus 7 review

The gear needed for wardriving

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby KRG74 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 pm

I have acquired a Google Nexus 7 tablet and I think its a great piece of kit all by logging is now done on that it sits in a bag on my back i can go out on a bike or by bus which I did today and logged a just over a fifty mile trip via different routes here in London not once did I stop WiGLE and when I got back home only 48% of the battery has been drained

Would I recommend Nexus 7 to WiGLE users yes its an affordable tablet with great battery life (I normally watch videos on it and get about 5 hrs of usage in this manner)

Postby uhtu » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm

i'm also using wiglewifi on a nexus 7, no complaints so far.

Postby RJ McKenzi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:01 am

Out of the 3 devices I use for Wardriving the Nexus 7 gets the best results. I use a Galaxy Nexus, HTC Droid Incredible, and a Nexus 7. The Galaxy Nexus gets the least amount of networks and the Nexus 7 gets the most.

Postby bigstape » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 am

Just picked one of these up. The GPS should be very useful for navigating. The screen is much easier to read than my RAZR's. Tried to set up the RAZR as a bluetooth IP hotspot to keep the Nexus's maps up to date but had problems. I think it was because the Nexus was downloading a system software update. Will try again next run.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

Postby bigstape » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 am

The Nexus 7 seems to be about 10% better at picking up APs than my Droid RAZR Maxx, which is about half as good as my dedicated rig. I'm still trying running the RAZR as a bluetooth hotspot to update the maps on WIGLE as I travel, but I guess bluetooth's narrower bandwidth makes the maps slow to update. Best results seem to be to scan the maps of the area I'm expecting to travel beforehand over wifi so they're already cached in the Nexus.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

Postby Tech^CF » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Just got myself a Nexus 7 and into wardriving again. It works great (although I'd wish the N7 had 5Ghz N network support). Picks up more networks than WiFi-Where did on my iPhone. I just have one issue, how to exit WigleWifi? Exit just puts it in the background, force close via the battery manager does not close it. For now I will just use the pause option.

Postby uhtu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:35 pm

i've seen that as well with mine, but hadn't thought much of it.

i think that exit does exit it, and the thing you see in the "running apps" list is just an intent to restart it,
but i'll check the logs for sure.

-uhtu

Postby Tech^CF » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:43 am

Oh, ok. I am a real newbie on the android platform so it might just be that I am misreading/misunderstanding.

Postby uhtu » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:02 pm

please make sure you pick up build JSS15Q on the 2013 nexus 7s, it has a fix for the horrible GPS problems

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”