WarFlying

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Wolfess » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 pm

It worked out well. Tape the android to the bottom of my 1:10 scale C172 and buzz down the street. Used 70CM ham ATV band and 6m rc band to avoid FPV system interfering on wifi. Since it was a sucess i might get the battery pack for the ras pi rig and hang the antenna on the bottom. Got more signals and only wasted solar eleftricity.

Just thought I would share my oddball experiment for other people to try. Taping the android on did rather well.

Postby dnr1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:44 am

I will try this with my phantom 2 quadrotor. I will just attach my phone to the drone and do a flight over a premium neighborhood. since wigle works while driving, flying about 10-15 mph should be fine. the height by FAA rule has to be under 400 ft alt. I also need to be close to the ground to capture the wifi bubble- so probably about 80 - 100 ft should be fine..

Postby Wolfess » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:03 pm

Almost 10 years later and I have been giving it another try again though this time with the more stable platform of a delta wing kite. I used one of those smartphone clips to clamp it to the back of the center of the wing on the underside and near the keel to try and keep it as balanced as possible still.

I'm using the Prism Zenith 7 for it's extreme portability when packed I just added a third party winder to it that has a longer 600 foot dyneema line and a nylon strap on the outside with carabiner to make tethering down easier and more convenient. Taking inspiration from what DNR1 said and someone else doing the same but targeting commercial areas I'm tempted to do the same once the winds are a little less extreme.

For now I just did a couple afternoon monitoring sessions in an empty field with clear view of the freeway to log and mobile hotspots and all the bluetooth traveler devices that are passing through town.

Postby brockhold » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:29 pm

Hopping in to re-invigorate a newly necro'd thread, but just today I started putting together the bag of parts to go warflying with a small fixed wing drone, hauling not much more than a Pi Zero W, GPS, and a LoRa link. If I get anywhere at all, I'll be improving the antenna later.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”