Built my own WiFi AND GSM roaming solutions: What format do I create log files in for GSM data captured?

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi Bobzilla and other Wigle staff and members,

For the last few years, I've been building my own dedicated WiFi WarRoaming equipment (based on Kismet) for use on Wigle.

Just this last week, I've created a GSM stumbler that can geo-locate up to FOUR x GSM Network Operators at once (ala 4 SIM cards & 4 GSM interfaces), which offers more bang for the buck than the Wigle App I use on my Samsung. Not to mention, the battery runtime is much better. ;-)

I'd like to start contributing said GSM data to Wigle from this new WarRoaming device I built, but cannot find the documentation pertaining to what format it should be in in order to submit it to Wigle.

Currently, I'm already formatting it in the CSV format specified by OpenCell ID but would also like to upload this to Wigle. Can you use the OpenCell ID CSV format, or shall I reformat it in another manner and if so, what and where is the related formatting documentation? :)

Thanks in advance.
well, that's weird; I thought we'd documented this someplace in the forums, but I can't find it!
The easiest solution is to use the WiGLE CSV format - at the time of writing, this is a CSV file generated by WiGLE WiFi Wardriving. At the time of writing, this means two header rows in the format:

line 1: [file metadata]

line 2: [CSV headers]

to use a sample from a debugging Blackberry Android device (seriously, we were getting weird bug reports, so found a cheap used one for debugging), this ends up looking like:

Code: Select all

WigleWifi-1.4,appRelease=2.27,model=STV100-1,release=5.1.1,device=venice,display=AAE299 (release aospl-msm8992 68 qc8992_sfi-user),board=venice,brand=blackberry MAC,SSID,AuthMode,FirstSeen,Channel,RSSI,CurrentLatitude,CurrentLongitude,AltitudeMeters,AccuracyMeters,Type
The headers are inviolate - the device line requires the right entries, but the contents can be anything at all.

Individual GSM sample lines look like:

Code: Select all

310410_35630_171064074,AT&T,UNKNOWN;us,2018-01-27 13:16:01,0,-113,37.76340659,-122.44703338,78,9,GSM
that's a GSM MAC format, SSID usually reports as carrier name, and values that more-or-less correspond to the same fields described in the header!
I should note: file versions should keep reverse compatibility, but you can check https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi-wardriving for updates to the android client.
Also note, CDMA signal data is logged in the same format with a different "Type" value!
Thanks for your help - I think I got it all sorted & uploads look great!

Just one question - I used the header infos as they pertained to a mobile phone I currently already have (I just copied a CSV file it had generated on a roam and already uploaded over to extract said data) - just to ensure that nothing borked out on the first uploads.

Would you prefer that I change that to my own Meta info reflecting info about the type of SBC computer I"m using & software I've written or just leave it impersonating an Android phone?

Thanks again for your help!
Awesome! glad everything has worked!

You're welcome to use either header values, but if you decide to open-source/publish your project, it might be cool to see the device show up in device stats; you'd get to see how many people were using your software/instructions. If you do decide to do that, let us know and we'll rename the page from "handset" to "device" stats, and link to your project from the Tools Page.

Awesome work, and keep on stumbling!

-ark
I should note: file versions should keep reverse compatibility, but you can check https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi-wardriving for updates to the android client.
Also note, CDMA signal data is logged in the same format with a different "Type" value!
We are all GSM here in Europe - however, I can add a tag for whether or not it's GSM (2G) or UMTS (3G and up)... as the addressing is different for each. Do you prefer that? Until now, I'm tagging type type of everything (2G/3G/4G) as GSM.
We only categorize as GSM or CDMA, as that's the interface that Android provides:
https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi- ... .java#L548
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”