New, interested, need HELP!!

The gear needed for wardriving

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby nexus1 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:07 pm

First let me start with saying my apligizes if this is in the wrong forum.
Second, excuse my spelling I have always bad in English/Grammer even though I'm American! :lol:
Third, I registered as nexus but haven't recieved an e-mail yet so that is why I post as nexus1.

Ok, so I have been reading alot about wardriving and in fact have gotten a lot of my friends (friends that are not computer smart) to by Wired routers not wireless routers for thier house because I know how unsecure wireless can be. Then I stumble across wardriving on CNN.com and I think to myself, 'Wow, if I could be apart of this that'd be just what I'm looking for!"

You see I've always wanted a computer in my Jeeps (I'll start with just one first) and after reading threads on here and else were I have decided that this is what I want to do:
1) Add a wireless router to my current home set-up to be used via my Jeep when in range of my house (Secure of course and no don't ask why I want a wirless set-up from my house to my Jeep)
2) I want to set-up my Jeep with a laptop to do what is listened in #1 and to do wardriving!!

So my question is this:
Where do I get started?

Could some list for me what equipment I need to buy, prices, stores I can get it at etc? Include low-end, medium-end, high-end price ranges. Also, could some list what software I need on the laptop, on my home computer(s), all instructions as detailed as possible to include details of installation, access, using/understanding the mapping software, etc. Please, all help is needed. I have a basic-advanced understanding of computers and software but can be slow with terms but I do learn rather fast. Basically, lots of explanation is required because my personallity is to know all the details.

I live in Colorado Springs, Co. I really want to do this as a hobby and perhaps I could learn alot from this. You may respond here or e-mail me at david.hodge@schriever.af.mil (work e-mail) or nebhyper@gmail.com

Yes, I'm in the Air Force.

Again, thanks all help appreciated!

Postby phantem » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:28 pm

I know exactly how you feel...tumbling down the rabbit hole.

Anyway, I use an Orinico Gold wireless card with my dell inspiron, high end hardware, as far as the laptop is concerned.

I have not had any complaints thus far with Orinico and I would suggest it to other starters.

I also use netstumbler for wireless AP detection, just google search for the windows .exe of that program. It is quite user friendly.

As far as GPS is concerned, I myself am looking for one as well, so please PM me if you know of any good deals that will work for a young hobbyist such as myself.

I also use a 7.5 dbi gain antenna on the top of my car, - about 12 in/ 30 cm tall and has a nice magnet that keeps it in place. Along with a 60 inch cable, I can place my laptop nearly anywhere in my car.

I hope this was semi-useful, as I am no expert.

Simply putting my .02 as far as my own experience has been.

regards
Our minds are finite, and yet even in those circumstances of finitude, we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of human life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude. - Alfred North Whitehead

Postby phantem » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:30 pm

Oh, and by the way.

But in order to get my account to work, I had to go to the forum login screen, request my password [actually press 'I forgot my password'] and then it sent the confirmation email.

This is a bit roundabout, but this forum isn't exactly the most lively that I've been in [no offense], so one or two glitches are acceptable.

regards
Our minds are finite, and yet even in those circumstances of finitude, we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of human life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude. - Alfred North Whitehead

Postby Nexus1 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:55 am

Thanks, I tried teh forgot password thing and it activated my account but when I use the password it gave me it says the account is inactive or wrong password.

Thanks for the info too! That's a good start but I need even more details. Like where do I buy some of this stuff? The antenna connects to the laptop how? WHat programs do I place on the laptop to map where I am going and such and how do I get that online?

So I need:
Laptop
Orinico Gold wireless card
GPS reciever with laptop connection
netstumbler.exe for wireless AP detection
7.5 dbi gain antenna about 12 in/ 30 cm tall with magnet
60(or so) inch cable from antenna

what else? and detailed assembly please? Or perhaps a link to a website that has instructions/part list?

Thanks!

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:18 am

woah,

technically, you dont need all of that...
that is just what I use.

One can be as cheap or extravagent as possible. What you DO need is:

1) Computer
2) Wireless connection device
3) Power Inverter [suggestion]
4) antenna [only for signal gain - is possible without]
5) means of transportation [boat, bike, car, plane?]
6) Software to detect networks

regards

Postby nexus1 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:06 am

Sorry not trying to be rude in my last post

I am very thankful for your help. I appreciate the input.

I tried posting on netstumbler's forum and they locked and removed my thread. Oh well.

Thank you!

Postby ax0n » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:34 am

If your laptop has a serial port (9 pin) then Go for the Garmin eTrex. The yellow ones are kind of lacking in serious navigational features for roads, but they're getting really cheap. They're made mostly for hiking, biking and off-roading so they don't have road maps built-in. What they DO very well though, is talk to your computer or laptop and tell the software where you are, which is all you need it to do. It also backtracks where you've been and has an odometer, max speed and other features. It doesn't come with a data cable but I found a data AND 12 Volt power cord (so you don't run through AA batteries) all in one for $12 on eBay and it's worked great for close to 2 years now. The official garmin data cable or power cable is $40 or so each, and I don't even know if they have one that can power it AND provide a serial cable at the same time. Take a look at my thread in here (called "my wardriving rig" or something similar) to see how my setup looks.

Postby asmodianx » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:37 pm

If you are new to computers in general a good place to start would be
(www.netstumbler.com) for you stumbling software. I recomend using windows XP because of its driver compatibility.

Prism 2,2.5 and 3 cards are well supported. Orinoco's are also well supported.

As of the writing of this, I am unaware of any windows based passive WIFI scanners. A passive wifi scanner listens for traffic insted of activly probing networks. The difference is that active discovery wont detect certain cloaked networks.

You can get a garmin gecko or an etrex for under 200$, As axon pointed out cables will cost anywhere from $20 to $40.

I recomend getting some kind of mounting for the gps (and the laptop if you can afford it) Though if your a non-smoker the (clean) ashtray works fairly well.

If your in an area where access points are not visable from the road, getting a wifi card with an antanae may help. A mag mounted antanie on your roof would be even better.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:31 am

I am new to the scene too!

I have just ordered:
Acer Travelmate 4000
Proxim Orinoco Gold card
Hawking Technology 6dbi Omni-directional antenna

I already have a Powerwattz 1750w inverter. I could power a whole lan with that bad puppy!

I am still not sure what kind of GPS to go with. I just want one I can use with the computer, so I don't need one with a screen. How about the Earthmate: http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/configlaptop_info.asp
or the Navman GPS 110: http://shopper.cnet.com/NAVMAN_GPS_110_ ... 72.html?q=

Postby ax0n » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:27 am

I have a friend with the Earthmate. it gets the job done.

Also, Inverters are tricky. My 450W will barely power 100 watts when it's in the car plugged into a ligher socket. It needs to be hard-wired with thick guage wire (or alligator clipped direct to the battery) in order to get enough juice to fire up that much equipment.

Postby Addict » Thu May 12, 2005 4:43 pm

My 450W will barely power 100 watts when it's in the car plugged into a ligher socket. It needs to be hard-wired with thick guage wire (or alligator clipped direct to the battery) in order to get enough juice to fire up that much equipment.
That's something important to remember. A lot of people expect their inverters to work GREAT plugged into a lighter socket. The wiring for these is just too small to carry the current needed to run some (esp the 1750 :shock: ).

Some nice 10, 8 or 4 gauge wiring will resolve that issue. Just be sure to use an in-line fuse/breaker.
[url=http://www.digitaldeviation.com]Digital Deviation - www.DigitalDeviation.com[/url]

Postby izzy4505 » Sat May 14, 2005 3:51 pm

Should you pull the full 1750 watts on that inverter, you will be drawing 146 amps @ 12v. Lol. Obviously you're not going to need that much power. You can safely pull 95 amps through 4 guage. I installed my 400watt inverter in the dash where my ash tray used to be, and ran a wire direct to the battery, all 4 guage. It works great.
Brad Isbell
brad@musatcha.com
http://www.musatcha.com
[img]http://www.musatcha.com/images/logo.jpg[/img]

Postby Sith4dmin » Mon May 16, 2005 5:16 am

I really don't know how Orinoco has managed to keep selling almost entirely on name recognition. Ever since they were bought by Proxim the support for them has been poor. I would argue that Senao's 2511s are much better cards. They support dipole antenna configurations and have higher transmit power (pretty much the highest available).

Where GPSes are concerned, all I can say is do not buy Deluo. Those things are cheap peices o' crap and they will fail very quickly. I am not able to do any wardriving right now because my second Deluo GPS failed on me a month ago, and I don't have the money for a quality replacement.

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”