Need a hardware advice

The gear needed for wardriving

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby larren » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:36 pm

Hey everybody,
I need to buy a high gain antenna so I couldn't think of a better place to ask than here.
I've been searching for a little while and stumbled upon the following:
2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omnidirectional Wireless LAN Antenna With Magnetic Base
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2409mgu.php
and AirStation 54Mbps Broadband CardBus PC Card
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail. ... ,ECOSTCNET
(please feel free to take off the urls if it's against the rules)
So I was wondering if these two parts would do a good job. I don't really need to find hotspots as much as connect to them since I know already the locations I need to connect to. And before you ask, yes it's legit
:wink: I work for the companies I'm gonna be connecting to so I thought instead of spending money on adding antennas to each access point, I could get just one so I'm willing to spend more dough if it's gonna make my life easier.
Thanks a lot.

Postby Sith4dmin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:40 am

Both look decent, the Buffalo card uses a Broadcom chipset (or so I hear), so Netstubler should be able to use it through NDIS 5.1 (don't know about Linux/kismet support). Of course you also realize you'll need to get a pigtail to adapt the antenna to the card (which uses MC).

Postby larren » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:16 pm

Thanks for the reponse Sith4dmin. However, what I really want to know is what do you guys think of the antenna. I need quite a powerful one but I never had any experience with any so I can't tell whether that one would do the job or not. I'm in New York city, so lotta static, high buildings and a few parking spots.
Thanks again.

Postby Sith4dmin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:05 pm

8.5 dBi is a good rating for an omni, the only way you're going to get much higher is to buy one that's several feet long and create a custom mount for it (something I have done personally, that white line on the right side of me in my avatar is such an antenna).

Postby larren » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 am

Thanks for your help man! I can't afford having a huge antenna sticking up my car but I was thinking of using a directional antenna(may be a yagi) as I know exactelly where the lans are located. What da ya think?

Postby Sith4dmin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:50 am

Yagis are great, I would recommend the "Vagi" located at the bottom of this page. It has good gain and can be found for relatively low cost on ebay.[/url]

Postby larren » Mon May 02, 2005 5:54 am

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but which connector do I need? an N-Female or N-Male connector? :oops:
Thanks

Postby Sith4dmin » Tue May 03, 2005 1:07 am

That depends on your pigtail. As I said in an earlier post, your card has an MC connector, so you will have to get an MC to N pigtail. If the N connector on the pigtail is male, the antenna cable will need to be female and vice versa.

Postby larren » Tue May 03, 2005 3:51 pm

So which card are you using Sith4dmin?

Postby bhoberg » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:29 pm

Actually, I just purchased one of the 2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omni's like the one you have, it's a huge sucker...kinda stands out on the top of my truck. Cable is a little short so I need to get an extender and I think my car is having issues so I can't completely say if it is working for me or not. But it is an impressive antenna

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”