Neighbor help

The gear needed for wardriving

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby halo2ice17 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:30 pm

i just want to let my neighbor connect with his laptop to my high speed internet. i use a linkys router 4 pourt wireless b 2.4. also i am interested in getting started so wut do i need and im on aim halo2ice17 plz help

Postby argh » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:59 am

hi, for your neighbor, you should more or less get his laptop set up to use your linksys AP while he is at your house. use the best encryption that you can, and set your AP to only allow the MAC addresses that you want to allow. take the neighbor's laptop back to his house, and if it doesn't work, he may need to get an external antenna. these are really basic wifi use issues, and not part of what wigle.net is about. you may or may not be violating the terms of service for your ISP in doing this.

when you say 'get started' if you mean wardriving, a good first step would be to read every post in this forum. to do it right, you need a portable computer/PDA/laptop/cellphone, a wifi card and a GPS.

Postby bkoonce » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Is this a next-door neighbor? The farther the distance, the harder it is to do.

Most laptop antennae, especially those on PC-Cards are horizontally polarized, so if you have a dual antenna AP like the Linksys WAP11, you can set one antenna horizontally, and perpendicular to the direction of your neighbor. If that doesn't do it, things will get much more complex.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”