Apple P2P Behavior - MAC's changing every 10 seconds?

Talk about whatever

7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Anyone out there know if normal behavior of Apples setup in Peer 2 Peer mode is that they change their MAC addresses? I've got some guy locally here that has a setup where they're changing every 10 seconds. I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything on the net that documented a feature or something in the MAC setup that would implement this. Got me interested.

Postby cyberbob » Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:08 pm

There is a tool called "Fake AP" that generates fake AP broadcasts. It is
very configurable and could be set up to do what you describe.

http://www.blackalchemy.to/project/fakeap/

Postby tempest » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:13 am

I was aware of fake AP and I think it just runs on Proxim cards, dunno if Apple's are actually Proxim. It's not generating tons of aps, just cycling MAC addresses, keeping the same name and what not. Quite possible that we just had a severely weak signal and that's what was causing it. Was just wondering if anyone know what it was off the top of my head.

Postby cyberbob » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:27 pm

You assume too much. How do you know what brand of card is being
used? Via it's MAC? FakeAP can certainly be configured so that it
flips through a pre-generated list of MACs, which could be a list
of Apple MACs. That would look like what you are seeing. It could
also be setup so that it uses the same SSID on every broadcast, not
a random one. As a WAP11 owner, I can and do change the MAC so my AP
looks like other brands of hardware from time to time.

All that being said, it could still be some new "feature"
or weak signals as you suspect.

bob

Postby jimternet » Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:21 am

I don't currently own one yet, but I was trying to find out some info on how to do this.. do you tink that you could tell me how? or am I going to be embarrassed because It just a html setup cut and paste.... either way if you could email that would be great... Billgatessucks@geek.com

Postby cyberbob » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:13 pm

It's not an obvious option (At least with my older version WAP11). I learned how to do this from Seatle Wireless's website. I don't have the URL off hand, search their site for info on how to do the "power hack" on the WAP11. For those that don't know, this was a way to boost the power output of the older WAP11 models to a full 100mw output. Essentially, you download a new SNMP manager from Amtel's site (They made the chipset Linksys used in the WAP11) and then tweak the .ini file for the SNMP manager to allow more extensive configuration. Then you can tweak loads of extra options on the unit. Beware though, there are differences depending on what firmware your WAP11 uses, I would recommend reading the Seatle Wireless page before I attempt this. If I come across it I will post it here.

Postby Droogz » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:08 pm

I am not sure but i think that he mac wireless cards are cisco rebranded ie they support leap etc. As to wierd macintosh shit... I have seen a few 3 or 4 mac wireless clients that use the WEP key as the ssid. I am not sure why they do this. i think its when you dont put in a SSID and you enter a wep key it puts the wep key as the ssid when it does a probe for a network.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”