Cardinal Rules (FAQ) of wardriving

Talk about whatever

24 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby mrmeebles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:13 pm

I was just reading through some old posts and learned "Oh, I should be posting .gps , .csv, and .xml files. From yesterday alone I got 200 new networks from a .gps file. I thought there should be a list of top 100 rules and recommendations , maybe with links to posts. I know this is an old thread. Many old threads are hard to find and read through. The information is often buried in a seemingly unrelated post. I thought of something like:

1. Wardriving is mapping wireless networks (gps+wifi).
2. It is best to use Kismet or Kismac (for Macs). Netstumbler is also popular.
3. You need a card with an external antenna connector.
4. Atheros, Orinoco, and Prism cards are very safe bets.
5. Multiple Omni antenna are important especially with magmounts so that they are outside of the car (possibly 7db mag mounts). Directional Antenna (such as cantennas) aren't very helpful.
6. No, the $20 mag mount you saw is probably not a good deal.
7. Fab-corp is a good place to start looking for antenna.
8. You'll want to upload .gps, .csv, and .xml files.
9. Drive in the ghetto!
10. Use a dc > dc power adapter (it's more efficient than an ac>dc inverter).
11. Do something to protect your pigtails.
12. Your gps needs waas.
13. There is a great KLC script written by Nicolas Boet and enhanced by Dutch to combine Kismet logs.
14. Plot the results. You will find interesting areas in places you covered. Maybe a reason to go back to some roads.KH
15. If you want pretty pictures at home use gpsmap or the kismet2kml script + google earth.
16. If you want pretty pictures while driving use gpsdrive (don't hurt yourself).
17. No, you can't use your tv antenna (unless you mod a primestar dish) to find wifi.
18. In Kismet, don't dump tcp packets or log weak or cisco packets.
19. Don't use other people's networks. That's not Wardriving it's Piggybacking!
20. No, we can't help you use wepcrack or airsnort to find the WEP key you've forgotten.
21. Read Israel's Chronicles of a Wardriver especially the how-to.
22. Read the FAQ's at churchofwifi and netstumbler.org.
23. Higher gain isn't necessarily better - they only extend out further, and flatter. For wardriving around taller buildings, use a lower gain antenna - it'll have a taller vertical sphere of influence. But out in the country, use a higher gain antenna. themacuser
24. Plan routes. If you really want to cover an area, take a webmap of the area, print it and start planning in which roads to hit in which order. You will cover a bigger area if you don't have to stop and look at the map every 2 corners, and it will be more enjoyable. (And it will look less suspicous too.) KH
25. Multiple cards on multiple channels are a good idea. Grab a few USB wireless cards (that are supported under Kismet, or KisMac i.e. probably ralink or prism2 for best results), and a USB hub. Use them to supplement your main setup - they might just find a few APs your other setup missed. More than one card is the same as driving the area more than one time at once. If you're feeling especially rich, 11/13/14 cards, one on each channel to guarantee you pick everything up! themacuser

I thought it could be a list of about 100 rules/suggestions... :lol:
Last edited by mrmeebles on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 am, edited 13 times in total.

Postby argh » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:34 pm

all good points. people will give you grief over number 2, because that involves using other operating systems. those arguments have gone on forever and always will. more people probably use Netstumbler, because more people use Windows. use whatever works for you.

if you're starting out, you can do worse than to read through Israel's Chronicles of a Wardriveras well. he is one of 'the big guys' and has done an amazing job of documenting everything he has done. this *is* the voice of experience.

Postby mrmeebles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Israel's guide has been linked by many people.It's where I got the 'ghetto' rule. (Which I probably would have done anyway, but I believe many people ignore it.) I was thinking there should be some sort of top ten hall of fame. Hratch has got his props, but the others? Israel has his blog. Dutch's scripts are everywhere. Maybe location, rig, short bio.
I wonder if it would be appropriate to have links to the top wardriving sites and say "Rule 99: Read the FAQ's at Netstumbler, church of wifi, etc.

Postby Dutch » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:06 am

Correction : KLC is not my script. I've enhanced a version of KLC, to do thinks better and faster, but it's still not my script.
The original KLC is from here : http://boet.cc
My enhanced version can be found on the kismetwireless.net Links page, and
on the NetStumbler forums.

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby mrmeebles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:59 am

I was never able to download the 'other' KLC script. So I was simply in the habit of thinking of it as 'Dutch's.' I see KLC_Dutch everytime I run it. It works great... Thanks.
2. It is best to use Kismet. Netstumbler is also popular.
Don't forget KisMac for the Mac users :)
6. No, the $20 mag mount you saw is probably not a good deal.
Possibly not, but it depends on how good it is, and who you're buying from (I have my sources :) )
7. Fab-corp is a good place to start looking for antenna.
Beware, they can be a little overpriced sometimes...
8. You'll want to upload .gps, .csv, and .xml files
Goes without saying :)
10. Use a dc > dc power adapter
Or an inverter...
14. If you want pretty pictures at home use gpsmap or the kismet2kml script + google earth
Or KisMac's inbuilt export to Google Earth.
Don't forget KisMac for the Mac users :)
I fixed that. Kismac sounds really great. I'll definitely try to get my hands on a mac to give it a try.
Possibly not, but it depends on how good it is, and who you're buying from (I have my sources :) )
I suggested fab-corp because their stuff is guaranteed to be top-notch (if not a little pricey). Hyperlink is pretty good. Defacto wireless is pretty solid too. There are just so many iffy places that it's good to have a starting point. I'm sure your supplier would be happy if you shared their info (they are a business).

10. Use a dc > dc power adapter
Or an inverter...
I said dc>dc because it's much more efficient. Though I did procure a really solid (permanent) power inverter and cable.
I suggested fab-corp because their stuff is guaranteed to be top-notch (if not a little pricey). Hyperlink is pretty good. Defacto wireless is pretty solid too. There are just so many iffy places that it's good to have a starting point. I'm sure your supplier would be happy if you shared their info (they are a business).
It's not so much a supplier, as buy it from who has it. Look around - some places will sell the same item for cheaper than others. See if you can buy in bulk with 9 others who also want the item etc...

Most of these "wireless shops" do make a fair bit of profit, I can say that. If you can find out who makes it, and have a significant quantity of people, you could do a bulk purchase. Just don't let them all disappear and leave you with some of the items... (happened to me...)

Also, find someone who'se got a lot of wireless gear and isn't into wardriving, they might be inclined to sell the odd piece of it as they haven't found a good use for it yet :)

Oh, another rule: Spell it correctly. The topic says "wradriving"... :)

Another tip:
Antenna type:

Get a magmount antenna on your roof for best results. Directional antennas aren't really useful (unless you can cover most of the sides of the path).

Cantennas are generally to be avoided (1. they're unusually well known, and usually a symbol of "evil hackers" to the brainwashed masses... and 2. they aren't all that good anyway).

Higher gain isn't necessarily better - they only extend out further, and flatter. For wardriving around taller buildings, use a lower gain antenna - it'll have a taller vertical sphere of influence. But out in the country, use a higher gain antenna.

Multiple cards on multiple channels are a good idea. Grab a few USB wireless cards (that are supported under Kismet, or KisMac i.e. probably ralink or prism2 for best results), and a USB hub. Use them to supplement your main setup - they might just find a few APs your other setup missed. More than one card is the same as driving the area more than one time at once. If you're feeling especially rich, 11/13/14 cards, one on each channel to guarantee you pick everything up :)

Kismet drones are fun I have to say.

I did mention an inverter rather than a DC-DC converter for one reason - stick a powerboard on the inverter, and run a few other power bricks off it (say, two R100s and a WRAP for three kismet drones and a laptop :) ).

Multiple DC-DC converters aren't quite as simple, and I know this is a little inefficient, but it works :)

Postby KH » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:05 am

I'll add my bits:

- Plan routes. If you really want to cover an area, take a webmap of the area, print it and start planning in which roads to hit in which order. You will cover a bigger area if you don't have to stop and look at the map every 2 corners, and it will be more enjoyable.

And it will look less suspicous too.

- Plot the results. You will find interesting areas in places you covered. Maybe a reason to go back to some roads.

Postby themacuser » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:24 am

Hmm, we should get the WiGLE wiki going again - this'd be a great page if we could have a big long list of tips...

Postby mrmeebles » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:49 am

Sorry for the misspelling. I'm not careless. It was just an instance of expecting to see something and seeing it (although it wasn't there).

A wiki would be nice. I'm posting the info there now. I don't have time to do it right right now.
It's at
http://wigle.net/wiki/index.cgi?Cardina ... riving_FAQ

It would be nice to set up the wiki with subsections such as software (maps, scanning), hardware (computers, drones, gps, antenna, cards), legal (laws, PR), etc.
19. Don't use other people's networks. That's not Wardriving it's Piggybacking!
20. No, we can't help you use wepcrack or airsnort to find the WEP key you've forgotten.
EMPHASIS on these. Doing either of these is like farting in church. It's something you just DON'T DO. :D

Postby themacuser » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:24 am

Sorry for the misspelling. I'm not careless. It was just an instance of expecting to see something and seeing it (although it wasn't there).

A wiki would be nice. I'm posting the info there now. I don't have time to do it right right now.
It's at
http://wigle.net/wiki/index.cgi?Cardina ... riving_FAQ

It would be nice to set up the wiki with subsections such as software (maps, scanning), hardware (computers, drones, gps, antenna, cards), legal (laws, PR), etc.
Excellent. I seem to be blocked from editing the wiki at home (strange)...

Works from here though.

Postby bobzilla » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:32 am

You have to be logged in to edit the wiki. yay4spam.

Postby mrmeebles » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:45 pm

The Wiki for the Top 100 rules of wardriving is working fine. There are about 33 so far.

24 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “General Grabbag”