Cardinal Rules (FAQ) of wardriving

Talk about whatever

24 posts • Page 2 of 2

Postby themacuser » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:05 am

You have to be logged in to edit the wiki. yay4spam.
It definitely says my IP or network is blocked. It works from where I am now, but not my home connection.

Postby themacuser » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:33 am

"Editing not allowed: user, ip, or network is blocked."

My IP is 121.45.103.244.

Another tip for the Wiki (that I can't add):

• Use Kismac / Kismet over NetStumbler. A passive stumbler will find all those APs that have hidden SSIDs. NetStumbler will just miss all of them. Also, NetStumbler will miss APs where the AP is transmitting at a higher power than the card, and the card is out of range (i.e. 90mw AP gets missed because the probe request from the 15mw orinoco card [that is the de facto standard for netstumbler users] doesn't get to the AP. Passive stumbler sees beacon... detects network.)

Postby KH » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:46 pm

• Use Kismac / Kismet over NetStumbler.
This being a document for a wide audience, I would write it down more like "Using kismac/kismet (or other passive stumblers) over active stumblers (like netstumbler) is preferred because (set of very good reasons).

Postby bobzilla » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:20 pm

that ip isn't in the ban list. the wiki uses the credentials from the non-forum side of wigle, so make double sure you're logged into that side. or there something real wierd goin on.

Postby themacuser » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:50 pm

that ip isn't in the ban list. the wiki uses the credentials from the non-forum side of wigle, so make double sure you're logged into that side. or there something real wierd goin on.
If I can do a query, and view my uploaded files, I'm logged into that side, right?

Edit: My IP has changed and it works now. And I never touched the login page!

Postby bobzilla » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Designer voodoo

Postby icurnet » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Israel's guide has been linked by many people.It's where I got the 'ghetto' rule. (Which I probably would have done anyway, but I believe many people ignore it.) I was thinking there should be some sort of top ten hall of fame. Hratch has got his props, but the others? Israel has his blog. Dutch's scripts are everywhere. Maybe location, rig, short bio.
I wonder if it would be appropriate to have links to the top wardriving sites and say "Rule 99: Read the FAQ's at Netstumbler, church of wifi, etc.
Comments I'll add to ghetto wardriving from my experiences:

1) My bluetooth gps has a really bright blinking blue light on top that sits in my front window; I often hear 'Narco' being called out at night (both fun & scary). My vehicle does not stop moving in ghetto areas.

2) Ghetto driving will yield more undiscovered APs, but at a much lower discovery rate. I've driven entire apartment and town house neighborhoods that yielded 2-10x less than the amounts detected in newer neighborhoods (including the rejected APs Wigle already had).

ymmv, but be safe!
3. You need a card with an external antenna connector.
I take a bit of an issue with this. It is RECOMMENDED , but it isn't NEEDED. So far I've WD 38K new AP's with an internal antenna on a high power card that is very sensitive(-95dB). I'm sure that there are more APs there but you can WD with almost anything - just less efficiently.
5. Multiple Omni antenna are important especially with magmounts so that they are outside of the car (possibly 7db mag mounts). Directional Antenna (such as cantennas) aren't very helpful.
Cantennas are worthless as far as WD is concerned. You want spread, not point source. The most directional I'd go is a panel or maybe a sector, and then only as part of a more substantial omni based system.

Where you place the magmounts on the roof does affect your signal slightly. The more wavelengths of uninterrupted metal in a given direction will have the affect of enhancing your signal that direction compared to the other directions. It will not boost the overall gain of the system.

Just my 2 cents and ham experience.

Postby i_do_dew » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:16 pm

Take the road less traveled, and drive it slower.
I think the max speed for WD has to be about 45 for really good results.
Follow the water, more rich people live along the water than not.

When ghetto WD, dont look at people, just look at the road. plan that route ahead of time and think about doing it in the daytime if at all possible. roll up your windows and lock your doors. Unless the vehicle you drive is a ghetto looking beater and you don't have locks.

24 posts • Page 2 of 2

Return to “General Grabbag”