Does being in the database mean the wifi can be accessed?

Talk about whatever

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
I ask this question because we just found out that a company wifi is listed on wigle. So, we are curious if a listing means that a person can simply access it with the info found on wigle, or does a listing simply mean a wifi signal was detected without regard to whether it is usable?

If a wifi signal is detectable but not usable, is it possible (without going into great detail) to really make it invisible from wigle wardriver type detection without making it unusable by the business or individual?

Thanks in advance...
I ask this question because we just found out that a company wifi is listed on wigle. So, we are curious if a listing means that a person can simply access it with the info found on wigle, or does a listing simply mean a wifi signal was detected without regard to whether it is usable?

If a wifi signal is detectable but not usable, is it possible (without going into great detail) to really make it invisible from wigle wardriver type detection without making it unusable by the business or individual?

Thanks in advance...
The database is merely an acknowledgment of detection, not usability. If there is a signal, it will most likely be detected (depends on the equipment of the WDer). The only guaranteed way for it to not be detected is to not use wireless internet at your company. The location in the database is where the person was, when they detected it. If your company name is Acme Widgets, and your ssid is "AcmeWidgets", then people will know it is your company's. Name it something non-obvious if it is a great concern. Adding security to it helps to deter non-authorized users, too. I guess I should add that Wardriver's shouldn't be connecting to networks, cause thats not what Wardriving is.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”