odd plotting question...

Talk about whatever

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby i_do_dew » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:12 pm

I took a ferry ride while stumbling and the ferry had an onboard encrypted AP. The ferry company runs 3 ships over this crossing, and I picked up the AP's on those as we passed along the way.

This link has the points in question.

http://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap2 ... 7875976562

The two points on the left were on boats we passed. If you zoom in they are NETGEAR. the third point from the left Called FerryAP was the one I was on.

I'm wondering why the point was not plotted closer to the center of the journey rather than at one end of the ride. I would have approached it at one end, had a consistent signal all though the journey and then slowly drew away from it. the APs on the other ships I passed had 'correct locations' because I approached and passed them in a short span of distance.

Was this grabbed by an error checking feature of some kind?

Postby whitedice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:22 am

I took a ferry ride while stumbling and the ferry had an onboard encrypted AP. The ferry company runs 3 ships over this crossing, and I picked up the AP's on those as we passed along the way.

This link has the points in question.

http://wigle.net/gps/gps/Map/onlinemap2 ... 7875976562

The two points on the left were on boats we passed. If you zoom in they are NETGEAR. the third point from the left Called FerryAP was the one I was on.

I'm wondering why the point was not plotted closer to the center of the journey rather than at one end of the ride. I would have approached it at one end, had a consistent signal all though the journey and then slowly drew away from it. the APs on the other ships I passed had 'correct locations' because I approached and passed them in a short span of distance.

Was this grabbed by an error checking feature of some kind?
Perhaps it plotted the very last position in which the signal was last detected? Signal strength did not increase in the middle of the ride, it was consistent across the whole way. Therefore, it took the last strongest position, which would be right before you got off the boat?
If you had turned off detection in the middle of the ride, it would have shown the last position in the middle, maybe? Serioiusly, I'm guessing myself. Does any of that sound reasonable to you? The "strongest signal" part may be untrue if you are using hardware that does not detect signal strength properly.

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”