Suggestions on where to start learning how to wardrive?

Talk about whatever

3 posts • Page 1 of 1
For now, I've only got an Airport card in my tower Mac. (I'm tethered.) But eventually I'll be getting a sexy little 12" PowerBook, and want to know how to borrow bandwidth for fun and checking e-mail.

For instance, is there a way on this site to overlay the open networks maps atop a real map with street names so that I can see which networks I'm close to?

Newbie Brad

Postby bobzilla » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:36 am

Using a network without permission of the owner is a crime. This project is for the hobby of wardriving and for statistical analysis of wireless deployment, not to aid in illegal activities.

The JiGLE client currently does let you show networks designated as 'freenets' where someone (hopefully the owner) has signified that the network is free for anyone to use. Sadly the number of such networks is currently rather small, but hopefully it will increase over time.

Thanks for checking out our project!

Postby radio_slave » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:02 am

I've been underwhelmed with the clients for OSX (and I don't know of any for OS9). I use kismet under GNU/Linux on my iBook, and it works pretty well. If you have/are getting a powerbook, I'd recommend considering getting a PCMCIA Orinoco card. Building things to make the airport work properly take a bit of work. I don't have much of a choice, seeing has how my iBook doesn't have a PCMCIA slot.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”