How to correct wrong coordinates?

Talk about whatever

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby anom.jens » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi,

I'm attempting to fix coordinates a Wifi network on wigle.net (mac: ac:16:2d:dc:02:e1). The error is significant (about 500 meters), so certainly out of range. I don't know how the incorrect coordinates got there in the first place.

I've been using the android app to discover and upload the Wifi networking with the correct coordinates. However, this change is not reflected on wigle.net. How long does it usually take for such updates to become active on wigle.net? Will the update not happen as the correction in distance is big?

Perhaps this is a newbie question, but I've tried looking for an answer in the forum and on the wifi with no luck...

Anyone?

Jens

Postby uhtu » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 am

all notions of "wrong" in an imprecise omnidirectional broadcast environment are relative,
as they are based on points where an observation was recorded, not where the signal source is.
more observations will move a point over time.
not all moves are reflected immediately in the webmaps.
I should further ask for instruction for correcting mistakes, since it seems I am the only wardriver in my area. The problem is that my tablet is fairly accurate with GPS positioning, but only outside my flat. Inside it goes banana and reports erroneous positions. Therefore I have uploaded erroneous data for the networks which I can receive in my flat. I want to correct these errors, the networks appear some streets farther than the really are and they cannot be received in those streets. One solution I already have namely use Wardrive 4 instead WigleWifi for Android, since Wardrive 4 can be turned on and off very easily, while WigleWifi remains active all the time.
There is a "Scan off" button when you hit settings in wigle.

I've been outside the box. There's a bigger box.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and eventually you will run out of fish.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”