Geolocation Accuracy of APs

Talk about whatever

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Sirius38 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:39 pm

I've been tinkering with the app for about a week now and have noticed that the accuracy for placing an AP on the map is quite... inaccurate.
It appears that instead of trilaterizing the coordinates from multiple observation points like is said in the FAQ, the App is only mapping the AP to the last place it was seen.

I guess what my question is, what's considered to be an observation point? Should i stand in spot A, run WiGLE for a minute, turn it off, move to Spot B, rinse and repeat until i have multiple points of data and then export the db? Or am I going to have to somehow manually record data and do the calculations to perform the weighted-centroid trilateration?

If it's not part of the app already it's not a huge deal, but I was wondering if I could be pointed to the excerpt in the android source that actually handles the calculations and recording of data so I could make a few changes and recompile. :D

Postby bobzilla » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:51 am

The app uses strongest signal, it doesn't do the full computation that the server file processing uses. This is the code that determines "best" lat/lon for the app's database. https://github.com/wiglenet/wigle-wifi- ... .java#L747
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”