Do vehicles use 5GHz APs?

Talk about whatever

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby RSakai » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Hey all,

I like to leave a couple of devices grabbing cars that drive by, and having a device or two sitting in front of the house seems to do the trick. I have a couple junk phones that do a good enough job, but they're 2.4GHz and bluetooth only. Would it be worthwhile to use one of the better devices that can do 5GHz as well, or do cars and whatnot usually not broadcast 5GHz?

Postby RSakai » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 pm

To answer my own question, and for anyone else who was curious, the answer seems to be 'no', at least without going hardcore into looking at vehicle manufacturer specific mac addresses, etc. Looking at what's obvious, stuff like: "Bob's Silverado" and "Ford sync_X9879", it's all 2.4. So feel free to leave your 'who cares if it gets stolen' 15 dollar bargain bin LG's that can only do 2.4 on your fences and in the trees in front of your house :)

Postby pejacoby » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 am

I like this way of thinking, especially if you live on a busy commuter thoroughfare! Line up those old phones with WiGLE and a cheap camera app running, collect APs and LPs (license-plates) aplenty :-)

Postby Chatter-Static » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:41 am

There are quite a few wifi Dashboard cams see them pass the house from time to time.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”