Mapping hang ups

Talk about whatever

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby airgo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:46 pm

Hi,
I'm having some trouble with wigle.net mapping features. I consistently get a web map server time out when trying to view maps and access points at http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/GPSDB/onlinemap. This happens pretty much regardless of the time of day.

So I downloaded jigle and a bunch of raster counties and figured out how to get that up and running, but I'm not having much success with that either. I can authenticate to wigle.net but jigle keeps hanging up at "Parsing wigle.net data (80.0%)" and I never get a map.

I searched the forums but didn't find anything on this. Any pointers?
Thanks!
Brett

Postby uhtu » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:20 pm

the webmap server does occasionally hang up (the wigle server farm is very very overworked), and when our enterprise monitoring system catches that it has hung, it gets recycled and comes back online. it will be back shortly.

as to the progress issue with jigle, we'll need more information.
what version of jigle are you using? what mappacks have you tried? when? how much memory do you have on your machine? do you see the same problem with digle (if you are running on windows)?

thanks.

Postby airgo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:26 am

hey thanks for the response. I'm with win32 jigle 0.7.2 and JRE 1.4.2_05-b04. The machine is a PIII 1GHz 256MB of 133MHz RAM and fully updated Win2k OS. I haven't used digle. I downloaded all counties in MA except for Nantucket, but have only looked at the Boston pack so far (all in raster format as opposed to vector - what's the difference?)

But here's some new data; everything seems to run fine when I start jigle using run.bat. If I start jigle by double-clicking jigle.jar, then it invariably hangs at 70, 80, 90 percent without ever showing a map. "Hang" meaning a half hour will go by without any progress. But since I'm starting the application with run.bat, everything seems to be a-ok.
Thanks.
Brett

Postby uhtu » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:27 am

that'll do it. we haven't found a way to set the jvm default memory usage
from the double-clickable-jar yet. the run.{bat,sh} does set that value.

sorry for the confusion!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”