Wigle Wifi Wardriving 1.43 Released

The frontpage news bits

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby bobzilla » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:09 pm

A new version of Wigle Wifi Wardriving for Android has been released (1.43). We've started down the internationalization path. If you would like to help, take a look at the language files on the Download page and send us corrections! Release notes. Keep stumblin.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
Hi bobzilla,

where to send the corrections of language files?

Cheers,

moeter

Postby uhtu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:14 pm

wigle-admin@wigle.net, all are welcome and appreciated.
2 questions:

Is there a list of already done translations? The translation isn't done in 5 minutes, this work should not be made twice.

Wiggle runs in german on my phone, how can i change the language bach to english?

Dizzy

Postby uhtu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 am

see the download page for the ones that are done (and the files for corrections.)
at the moment it will use the language your phone is set to (if there is a corresponding language port)

-uhtu

Postby lnx » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:52 pm

This is a huge mistake.

The German translation is completely incomprehensible. I actually don't understand what the options mean, and I'm a native speaker! Please revert back to English until you are able to come up with a translation by someone who actually speaks the languages you are targeting.

It seems to be getting more and more common to just copy and paste word by word to an online translator or dictionary and call the result a translation. Please believe me: It's not. The meaning is lost in almost all cases I know where this has been done. Many technical terms shouldn't even be translated into German because we actually use the English word too; and the automated translators have an especially hard time translating short, often verb-less phrases common in user interfaces. To do it right, you would have to find somebody who doesn't only speak German, but also completely understands the meaning of all the options, or you will get a lot of misunderstandings.
Noted, next version to come out soon will have a menu to choose the language the app will use, rather than defaulting to what the device is set to. We would appreciate any corrections sent to wigle-admin[at]wigle.net, the language files are available on the Download page.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby dizzy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for the new version, I'm back to English now (the German translation was indeed horrible) ...

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”