Google Pie and Wifi Wardriving

The frontpage news bits

46 posts • Page 3 of 4

Postby Rangaboy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 am

Just upgraded Pie and should've checked here before doing so :/ not happy Jan!

Postby slobodan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:11 am

[quote=Rangaboy post_id=10286 time=1565852224 user_id=133997]
Just upgraded Pie and should've checked here before doing so :/ not happy Jan!
[/quote]

In about 4 months my Nokia 6.1 is expected to get Android Q, so that will fix it.

Postby arkasha » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:14 pm

the "Pie" months will always mark a bad time for WiGLE - let's hope that Google doesn't continue with plans to remove startScan completely (this was deprecated a while ago)

-ark

Postby Camis » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am

On Android 10, in programming options throttling can be turned off.

Postby ecramp » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 pm

[quote=Camis post_id=10326 time=1567764097 user_id=109737]
On Android 10, in programming options throttling can be turned off.
[/quote]

Thanks - I just upgraded my Pixel to Android 10 and it's working great once I became "a developer" and turned the scanning limit off - prior to the upgrade I would get about 5 seconds of scanning every few minutes, now it works 100% of the time and has virtually no effect on the battery.

Postby arkasha » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 pm

https://www.allowsomedenyall.com/2019/0 ... tling.html

has a nice guide, if folks find this thread and want some detail!

Cheers,

-ark

Postby slobodan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 am

I think I know now: Pie does not censor WiFi scanning, it censors GPS location. Apples and oranges.
[quote=slobodan post_id=10354 time=1570098101 user_id=130269]
I think I know now: Pie does not censor WiFi scanning, it censors GPS location. Apples and oranges.
[/quote]

Pie limits foreground apps to 4 scans every 2 miniutes and background app's are limited to 1 scan every 30 minutes, I can confirm that this scan limit is also in Lineage OS 16 as it is based off Pie as well.

Running Lineage OS 15.1 is fine though, GPS throttling is not the issue.

Postby slobodan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Android Q for Nokia 6.1 has leaked (test build). Problem solved.

Postby steelcty » Sun May 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Hey folks just discovered something interesting. Because my s8 is on Android 9 I started using a old Note 4 I had laying around just to wardrive with but carrying around 2 phones all the time gets old quick. Now when I happen to not have the Note 4 with me I use my S8 using the split screen method, however that does help to scan faster but you still miss a lot. So as an experiment I downloaded the app called Mozilla Stumbler and ran it split screen with Wigle and noticed that somehow Mozilla Stumbler is getting around the throttling because it seen over 2000 AP's verses Wigle seeing only about 300. I even ran Wigle on the Note 4, Mozilla stumbler on the S8 side by side with the same result Mozilla Stumbler finding 3 to 4 times more AP's. It appears Mozilla is scanning non stop on Android Pie somehow.

Steve
TROMOS wrote:
> I've noticed an improvement in results if I periodically switch wifi off
> and back on. Obviously this is impractical to do manually for any
> prolonged period. An automatic toggler may be a way to get round the scan

This seems to work. I was shocked it was that easy! I walked around my home and I could see RSSI changes every few seconds. Will take it out for a spin outside a bit later.

Required:
Rooted Android 9 phone, Termux or another terminal

Setup:
Change all the Wigle scan times to every 3 seconds
Launch Termux, type su and get root privileges
Run this: "while true; do svc wifi enable; sleep 12s; svc wifi disable; done"
Go back to the Wigle app and hopefully observe really fast wifi scans

Side effects:
Can't use wifi while stumbling
Higher battery drain
Log spam
(what did you expect though?)

Thoroughput with this hack is like 12 scans a minute, maybe double that if the phone cooperates. It might be better than splitscreening because now you don't need to waste battery on the screen. Instead you waste battery on bringing the radio up and down. :)

I don't think toggling wifi requires root though. You could make this work with an automation tool like Tasker if it comes with the permissions!

Postby SkywardLark » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Made a few runs with the wifi toggle hack. It might be working? Can't really tell.

Postby slobodan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 pm

What about Android 11, does it allow wardriving?

Postby arkasha » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 pm

absolutely - same instructions as 10!
It seems to me that the Google pixel 6 running Android 13 is capable of war driving.

Even before I Disabled " Wi-Fi scan throttling " in developer settings It seemed to work properly, I have not actually tried war diving yet hopefully I can test it against my working phone sometime in the future

46 posts • Page 3 of 4

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”