Ham Stumblers?

Wardrivers: find others in your area

50 posts • Page 3 of 4

Postby themacuser » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:27 am

not to sound stupid here but what exactly is a ham, what does thoes numbers/letters mean and why do u need a ticket?
ham = amateur radio operator

the numbers/letters = callsign, their way of identifying a station, kinda like a wifi SSID :)

Postby i_do_dew » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:09 am

not to sound stupid here but what exactly is a ham, what does thoes numbers/letters mean and why do u need a ticket?
ham = amateur radio operator

the numbers/letters = callsign, their way of identifying a station, kinda like a wifi SSID :)
I'd rather think of it as a MAC address since it is a unique identifier. basically because we are licensed from the FCC we get some extended operating permissions. sure you could operate there without the license, but the last I knew the minimum fine was $10K and confiscation of all related equipment. It seemed a bit steep for not passing a free or nearly so class. It also gives you some useful information about how not to fry the neighbors, and some legal protections for use, but doesn't protect from illegal use which will get the whole amateur radio community mad at you in addition to having the license revoked and never being able to regain it and possibly more fines.

With wifi this isn't an issue too much, though it can be. We also can use radios in other bands and have rights to modify some equipment. Its also nice being able to go lots of places in the world, pick up your radio and find someone to talk to who already has a common interest, or to get driving directions or someone to call if you are not in Cell range....yes that exists. Hams answered the call when NYC lost its police communications equipment on the top of tower 2. Hams were still operating from portable and emergency power backed systems a week after Katrina sank most of New Orleans, the list goes on. and so do I.

Postby szcus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 pm

KK6RN

Postby freetoair » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:26 pm

kb8kac is here

Postby Lucasart » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:25 am

Hi all, YO4REC here , :D
From Galati - Romania
QTH -Loc KN45AK

Postby unforsaken » Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Checking in, Ohio
Last edited by unforsaken on Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Petzl » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 pm

ON3PTZ here

also ham stumblers:

ON3PZ and ON4SH

Postby dougd76 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:51 am

Checking in also... N8VUR, Northeast Ohio

Postby ccie4526 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:27 am

ON3PTZ here
I should have known. ;)

...de NN5DX

Postby jonh » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:19 am

Hey Hams, please check my post here

Trying to interview people for a college radio documentary/paper. Any DX'r/stumblers interested?

Postby BarkyTech » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Anyone on 13cm?

Postby MetatronBN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:52 pm

I have my ticket but I don't feel comfortable just dropping my docs

Postby mustang032 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 am

I have my ticket but I don't feel comfortable just dropping my docs

same here, There is to much personal info released when you post your call on the net

Postby i_do_dew » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Well since I posted my call in 2006 Ive had no issues. It isn't like it is illegal especially with kismet running in receive only. like I said before, what is one more antenna.

Postby LZ3GM » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm

de LZ3GM
From Burgas, Bulgaria
KN32RL

50 posts • Page 3 of 4

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”