Hello From the Flint, MI area

Wardrivers: find others in your area

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby eldorf » Wed May 17, 2006 5:51 pm

Hellow from the Flint, Michigan area. I just got me a GPS (the pharos iGPS-360 that comes with Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006) to use with my notebook computer (Dell Inspiron B120 w/ an internal Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI card). Just uploaded my first .ns1 file with the GPS coords. Hoping to get more APs logged, just need to get an external antenna to hook up to the internal Wireless card (have found a site that sells the proper pigtails for it and am planning on ordering one within the next couple weeks.)

What antenna would you gurus of wardriving recommend, a cantenna or a Omni directional, or both?

Doug

Postby Blaze312 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Hey...

I'm a war driver from the Holland, MI area...

Good to see another user capturing the points on that side of the state.

I noticed quite a few points showing up in your area. I used to live in the Bay City area so I check that area once in a while..

As for your question I dont have an answer. I am still war driving with just my standard antenna attatched to my card. Doesn't pick up near as many points as an external might but I find that my points are more accurate to their actual location this way. (Just requires driving around more side streets).

I'm at around 11,000 with just a standard wifi antenna.

Good luck on your capturing.

Peace

Postby littledave » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:21 pm

Hey...

I'm a war driver from the Holland, MI area...

Good to see another user capturing the points on that side of the state.

I noticed quite a few points showing up in your area. I used to live in the Bay City area so I check that area once in a while..

As for your question I dont have an answer. I am still war driving with just my standard antenna attatched to my card. Doesn't pick up near as many points as an external might but I find that my points are more accurate to their actual location this way. (Just requires driving around more side streets).

I'm at around 11,000 with just a standard wifi antenna.

Good luck on your capturing.

Peace

I did my part, and came down there today and helped you make sure that all networks are logged. So you don't have to worry about the 2000 +. I found :lol:

Postby eldorf » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:48 pm

Well I bought a D-Link 7dBi indoor Omni to fool around with. Figured since it was only $15US after everything was said and done if it gets ruinid its no big loss. Have been wardrivingg with it mounted to the top of my car (it has a magnetic mount base) ended up getting on the express way with it and doing about 80MPH or so and it stayed in one place. Right now I am looking at a couple possible ways to "weather-proof" it for wardriving in the rain, may end up just putting it in the back window of my car for the rainy days though.

It has really helped, I was able to pick up about 7 more wireless networks from my driveway instead of the normal 4.

Postby Rhijaen » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:40 pm

I'm from the tri-city area, specifically midland

Postby poki73 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:22 am

I'm from the Lansing area trying to get some nodes logged too. Man the guys near universities have it made! I drove down two streets yesterday going through MSU and logged 1,100 points while running the speed limit.
Looking at the map I think i'll have a field day around Lansing compared to my local area.
I have an older Geo Metro 'on the bench' so to speak in need of repair, once I get that bugger goin Michigan cities are going down :twisted:
I'm just running an old Gateway Solo 2500 (P1 200MHz) on Linux with 1-Hermes 1-Atheros PC Card and a Holux GR-213. It actually works quite well for the money. $50 notebook $25 Orinoco card $40 Proxim card $50 Sirf3 GPS.
I just joined Michigan 2600, I hope that was OK? I'm really not sure who they are but they sound local enough for me :wink:

Postby littledave » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:58 pm

I'm from the Lansing area trying to get some nodes logged too. Man the guys near universities have it made! I drove down two streets yesterday going through MSU and logged 1,100 points while running the speed limit.
Looking at the map I think i'll have a field day around Lansing compared to my local area.
I have an older Geo Metro 'on the bench' so to speak in need of repair, once I get that bugger goin Michigan cities are going down :twisted:
I'm just running an old Gateway Solo 2500 (P1 200MHz) on Linux with 1-Hermes 1-Atheros PC Card and a Holux GR-213. It actually works quite well for the money. $50 notebook $25 Orinoco card $40 Proxim card $50 Sirf3 GPS.
I just joined Michigan 2600, I hope that was OK? I'm really not sure who they are but they sound local enough for me :wink:
I'm going to be there in Oct. The bad news is I have 2 days free.Now add kismet running on a tough book ( thanks beakmyn ) a kismet drone and Netstumbler.I will do my part to log them all lol: :lol:

P.S You should of joined the N.S group 8)

Postby poki73 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Bah! The N.S. has too many people already compared to the others. Besides I haven't ran Netstumbler in awhile and would feel odd gathering #'s for them with Kismet.
I must say the scenery around MSU is very nice but as it colder they keep putting more clothes on :cry:

Postby littledave » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 am

Bah! The N.S. has too many people already compared to the others. Besides I haven't ran Netstumbler in awhile and would feel odd gathering #'s for them with Kismet.
I must say the scenery around MSU is very nice but as it colder they keep putting more clothes on :cry:

12,208 new ap's this month :shock: I sent you a pm with a question.

Postby poki73 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:10 pm

PM replied to. I'll go slow 1 neighborhood at a time and leave some stuff on the east side of Lansing for you to find :lol:

Postby themacuser » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:24 pm

I think a few people from the Netstumbler group have been finding a fair few APs named "<hidden ssid>" - I was looking at one member's APs, and found a few.

Edit: Wait, don't know what the hell I was doing. I don't think I actually was.
Last edited by themacuser on Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dutch » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:53 pm

I think a few people from the Netstumbler group have been finding a fair few APs named "<hidden ssid>" - I was looking at one member's APs, and found a few.
Pray tell, how would you go about looking at the AP's found by one member of a particular group ?

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby littledave » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:49 am

PM replied to. I'll go slow 1 neighborhood at a time and leave some stuff on the east side of Lansing for you to find :lol:
Thanks for the info, I got the 2nd card up and running :D Take your time on the neighborhoods :(

Postby themacuser » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:30 am

Pray tell, how would you go about looking at the AP's found by one member of a particular group ?

Dutch
Or was I? I don't know what I was doing, this was when I first used WiGLE.

Maybe I got it confused with something else. Sorry, made that post rather late.

Edit: Now I remember. I somehow browsed from the Netstumbler group to the SSID stats, (possibly with usage of the back button), and managed to think that was that group's stats. Sorry for the confusion :S

Maybe I should think things through a little more before I post something stupid again...

Postby Dutch » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:47 pm

Dutch
Or was I? I don't know what I was doing, this was when I first used WiGLE.

Maybe I got it confused with something else. Sorry, made that post rather late.

Edit: Now I remember. I somehow browsed from the Netstumbler group to the SSID stats, (possibly with usage of the back button), and managed to think that was that group's stats. Sorry for the confusion :S

Maybe I should think things through a little more before I post something stupid again...
Don't worry.. Everybody has inserted foot in mouth and posted at one time or another. There's only a problem if one continues to insert foot everytime one posts.. :wink:

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”