SW England

Wardrivers: find others in your area

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Flash » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:32 am

Hi everybody...

I'm new here (aren't we all new at some point) I am based in Devon and Cornwall areas primarily.. however I plan to use Kismet to detect WiFi and drive with it running as often as i can...

If theres anyone else in a similar area, perhaps we can co-ordinate things ?

Postby pheonix9 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Hey there, I'm new here too, shame there arent any UK map-packs :\ i'm from up in north west England in the lake district though... pretty sure there cant be that many WiFi networks there but you never know! :lol: by the way i was thinking of getting the Hawking Tech. Dish thingy to pick up networks ( http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/pro ... ProdID=280 )... i dont understand this very well... its all new to me! :roll: .. but i sure want to be the first person who maps WiFi points in the eastern lake district!
This has been gone over and over and over yet again. There are no map packs for other countries because there is no open license map data available for those countries, unless you know of one we don't. You can read the map Pack FAQ to find out how to make a map pack using whatever maps you have a license to use!

Postby Sanukk » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:44 pm

Hi

I'm down in Exeter, but go to Bideford and Barnstaple every now and again.

Also I'm just WarWalking rather than driving.

-S

Postby GutmaNn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Hey I'm in the Yeovil area in Somerset. Anyone nearby?

I'm only warwalking at the mo. Seeing how much I can get just by walking

Postby ee31tt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I am in Torbay at the moment and have used Kismet and Wardrive Android to cover a bunch of locations around the bay as well as some trips to Exeter and Plymouth and the odd trip across the country to my fokes place :)

I am curious to find out what the commercial use of Wi-Fi location being employed by Google (in the Android Google Maps My Location) and Skyhook will do to this hobby. At a guess they are both just going to plug into the open databases and use them as a reference for their own systems.

Hope you are all doing well, if I can be a help then drop me a line.

Postby ee31tt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:29 am

This has been gone over and over and over yet again. There are no map packs for other countries because there is no open license map data available for those countries, unless you know of one we don't. You can read the map Pack FAQ to find out how to make a map pack using whatever maps you have a license to use!
http://www.openstreetmap.org/

You might want to skim through the license but I think it lets you use the data for most purposes and is very comprehensive now days.

Postby khoff » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 pm

How about the Ordnance Survey data from OS OpenData? (made available at http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk). It's made available under the Open Government License for public sector information. This gives a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use the information (subject to conditions). Sounds like it could be useful to me.

Postby arpee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi. I've just started WarWalking (lunchtime strolls near work), WarCycling (home to work and back) and WarDriving in the Exeter area. I'm using the Andoid Wifi Wigle app - it is very good. It will be logging wherever I go from now on.

Postby WKSUK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Trying to cover the UK. Getting there slowly. wksuk.com

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”