Support for other BT scan formats?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby PhattyMo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:26 am

Hey Folks,

I'm wondering if there are any plans to support log formats from other Bluetooth scanning apps/programs? If not,can I suggest it? :D
For the last few years I have been using an app called RaMBLE for Bluetooth scanning on my phone,and have amassed quite a few devices in the list (tens of thousands). I'm wondering if there is any way I could upload this data to WiGLE? RaMBLE can export all the data in a .sqlite file. Is the WiGLE team planning on adding support for these log files,or is there some way to convert them into something WiGLE will understand?
I have (finally) upgraded to the newest version of the WiGLE app (2.42),and plan to start using it from now on,but I'd also like to contribute the pile of Bluetooth data I already have,if possible.

On a side note,I'm curious if any other members here have used RaMBLE,or other Bluetooth scanning apps,before WiGLE implemented Bluetooth scanning? Perhaps other WiGLE'ers have data in other formats that they could potentially contribute also.

Cheers!

Postby arkasha » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:54 am

Great idea!

We should do a survey of the most popular formats. A question about RaMBLE: does the SQLite database contain packet data, or just beacon/location data?

Cheers,

-ark
Hey arkasha,

Ohh,that's a good question. I don't know if it contains any packet data. If I export my entire database,the resulting .sqlite file is only about 25megs,which makes me think it doesn't? (I'm assuming it would probably be a lot larger,if it did?) That's just a guess though.

Okay,I plonked one of my older/smaller (4meg) RaMBLE logs into this website: https://inloop.github.io/sqlite-viewer/ and it doesn't seem to contain any actual (potentially sensitive) packet data,to my untrained eye. Just the 'usual' (MAC) address,name,first/last seen,RSSI,location,device info/type,service UUID's,etc. sort of stuff.

I can email some of the exported .sqlite files,if you guys would like to take a look at them.
we'll look into it!

short version: while we love data, we want to avoid any responsibility for packet data, because we take individual privacy very seriously.
Unified SQLite file formats are something we're careful with, specifically because they frequently couple beacon/location and capture data (which are very useful for many applications, aren't something we want to receive or distribute.)

most-difficult case, we'll just release a "dump" query or a tool that exports locations/networks without packets!

-ark
Sounds good! I'll keep an eye out for any updates. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks to the WiGLE team,for being awesome!

Cheers!
How about regular BT (not BLE)? Any suggestions on scanning tools to use and how to upload?

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”