Format of CSV files for uploads

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby iant » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:57 pm

I''m in the process of knocking together a NodeMCU based wifi scanner to play with when I walk around the neighbourhood. I'd love to upload the data I capture to Wigle but I can't find out waht format you want the data in. I can find several lists of formats you can support but with out actually downloading and installing (say) kismet on my desk top and carrying it around the area I can't find out what it's output format is.

So what is the minimum I need to generate to send to Wigle? I'm guessing it's ssid, strength, lat, lon but who knows which order

Ian

Postby arkasha » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:07 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your interest in the project!

there are a number of public formats that you can use to upload to WiGLE. Many of them (Kismet in particular) are quite well documented. If you decide to use the WiGLE format, it's unofficial outside of the client, but the headers of the WiGLE format CSV format consist of two rows. the first is a device description header, which is specific to android devices:

WigleWifi-<version>,appRelease=<version name>,model=<android model>,release=<android build>,device=<android device>,display=<android display>,board=<android board>,brand=<android brand>

this is followed by a data header for the CSV format:

MAC,SSID,AuthMode,FirstSeen,Channel,RSSI,CurrentLatitude,CurrentLongitude,AltitudeMeters,AccuracyMeters,Type

the data follows. Not a perfect spec, but we show how the data is written at: this spot in github. If you decide to implement against the WiGLE CSV, I recommend capturing the version of WiGLE Wifi Wardriving you implement against, in case we need to make modifications to future versions!

Cheers, and thanks for your interest.

Postby arkasha » Sat May 02, 2020 6:26 pm

finally documented this:

https://api.wigle.net/csvFormat.html

Postby zebul666 » Wed May 06, 2020 10:13 am

Hi.
How do deal with non ASCII SSID ?

The last time I checked, WigleWifi seemed to ignored utf-8 encoded SSID. Right ? (They did not show up in the android app GUI ??)

If they are utf-8 encoded, are you suposed to include them in the csv file ?

If they are not even utf-8 encoded, like some random binary, how are you supoosed to put them in the file ?
As a side note, in another project, when the SSID is not utf-8 encoded, I base64 encoded them and preprend the result with b64_. This is only a problem with SSID that acutally starts with b64_

The standard tells that SSID is any 32 bytes. What if they are more than 32 ?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”