Web Maps???

Talk about whatever

34 posts • Page 1 of 3

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:37 am

After uploading WiFi Data (Netstumbler files), how long before I should expect to see those APs on the maps? I was under the assumption they would be updated rather quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Kat!

Postby fraidykat » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:38 am

Sorry for "Guest"

That was me.

Postby uhtu » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:10 am

this has been addressed previously in the forums.
the database is updated in realtime, and the non-web clients have much more detailed access to the information.

Postby fraidykat » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:05 am

Thank you, I didn't word it the same, But I did try to search.

OK, I got bot Dingle and Jingle working for the most part.
If you look at the picture below, near the middle there is a blueish area. That seems to be about center, from there expanding outward left and right, the access points are getting farther and farther away from there true location. The APs up near the top left are about 5 miles or so too far left, and the ones on the upper right are almost 20 miles too far to the right. If this is a known issue, sorry for the post. I didn't find anything pertaining to this issue though. Any suggestions? By The Way, they seem to be correct on the Web Map now that it has updated as of my upload yesterday, they are in their correct location.

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:24 am

interesting. what did you capture them with (stumbling program and version), and what format is the data file in?
also, where is this?
basically, whenever you see something like that, odds are it's a decimal degrees/sexigesimal mix-up (wrong coordinate system), but the programs (DiGLE, JiGLE, and the upload parser) are supposed to be smart enough to detect that. posting the header lines from your file might also help shed some light on the subject.

-a

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:47 am

hmm. i lie. JiGLE and DiGLE both do it, but the webmaps don't.
I'll sack our mappack creation, dissemination, and maintenence teams (and give the webmaps team summary raises), and we may well have a new mappack for you once we get the new teams up to speed and the various parties are over.

Postby fraidykat » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:06 am

interesting. what did you capture them with (stumbling program and version), and what format is the data file in?
also, where is this?
basically, whenever you see something like that, odds are it's a decimal degrees/sexigesimal mix-up (wrong coordinate system), but the programs (DiGLE, JiGLE, and the upload parser) are supposed to be smart enough to detect that. posting the header lines from your file might also help shed some light on the subject.

-a
Uploaded them in .ns1 format.
Used Netstumbler Version 0.4.0
The screen cap is of Grand Traverse County, in Michigan. Leelanau County is off also, which is just NW of Grand Traverse.
Let me know if there is anything else you need from me.

Postby fraidykat » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:07 am

hmm. i lie. JiGLE and DiGLE both do it, but the webmaps don't.
I'll sack our mappack creation, dissemination, and maintenence teams (and give the webmaps team summary raises), and we may well have a new mappack for you once we get the new teams up to speed and the various parties are over.
LOL. Uh Oh... I hope no one gets the pinkslip because of me.. :shock: :D :cry:

Postby uhtu » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:16 am

the reason the clients show this and the webmaps don't is as noted above: they haven't been picked up by the webmaps yet. the clients are more than likely all fine.
the arkasha division of wigle heavy industries will be placed on adminstrative leave until their investigatory and blame units can be serviced.

please either post your upload transaction ID here, or send it via email to wigle-admin@wigle.net and we'll see if the file parsing is awry, or if you've just got a wonky gps.

sorry for the confusion.

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:31 pm

(you can grab the transid from your "Uploads" section when you're logged into the website).

if you load the ns1 data directly into the client, does it end up in the same places?

Postby fraidykat » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:34 pm

Trans IDs.

20040606-00058
20040607-00020
20040607-00028
20040607-00029
if you load the ns1 data directly into the client, does it end up in the same places?
Yes, if I load them via the local button the are also off. If I export them to Summary and then use stumbverter to import them to mappoint, the are all correct.
the reason the clients show this and the webmaps don't is as noted above: they haven't been picked up by the webmaps yet. the clients are more than likely all fine.
The web maps HAVE picked up the first set I uploaded. there were only 15 - 20 APs before I uploaded, today shows the couple hundred I added. and the web maps are correct. My observation, seems the coordinates of the map packs are off a bit. Seems to be logical.

Kat!

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:17 pm

oh heck. now we're all going to get sacked.
our entire research staff are working round the clock at WiGLE labs. We may have to send an emergency response team. Does Traverse City Brewing have any porters up right now?

Postby fraidykat » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:49 pm

oh heck. now we're all going to get sacked.
our entire research staff are working round the clock at WiGLE labs. We may have to send an emergency response team. Does Traverse City Brewing have any porters up right now?
Is that sarcasm I smell? :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think when I get home I'll try and take a look at the coordinates to see if I can determine anything. Is there any copyrights against me editing the mappack for my own use?

Postby arkasha » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:21 pm

hehe. we're filled with sarcasm.
it's mostly funny 'cause there's basically just the three of us and so all the sackings and promotions would be happening to the same person(s).

we encourage, in a mostly-unsupported fashion, playing with mappacks... search forums or see dutch's guide on netstumbler.com for details, and remember we switched X,Y from what one might expect. (long story).

Postby bobzilla » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:14 pm

Well, remember that our produced data falls under our eula:

http://wigle.net/eula.html

So commercial use without a seperate license granted by us is Right Out :)

34 posts • Page 1 of 3

Return to “General Grabbag”