What does this mean?

Talk about whatever

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Sattech200 » Tue May 30, 2023 4:18 am

I thought I posted this a few days ago but can't find it anywhere. Please forgive me if it did post and I'm blind tonight.

So, what does this attached map mean? Until a couple of days ago I didn't get the best of signals but it was farley solid and reliable. As of a couple days ago I can barely get any service and its dropping out a lot. Just wondering if this night give me some clues.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230529-235420_WiGLE WiFi Wardriving.jpg
Screenshot_20230529-235420_WiGLE WiFi Wardriving.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 14754 times

Postby arkasha » Tue May 30, 2023 6:00 am

you should zoom out.
Those red dots are each locations at which you've been and from which your phone observed the same Verizon LTE tower. They're all weak signals. If you walk around the block, or maybe a 5 block radius your phone will see more and hopefully a stronger signals at some point, although cells have pretty broad reach.

If you upload, or if anyone else has seen it, you can try querying the "Basic Search" function on the website and see where everyone's observations put the tower.

Postby Sattech200 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:06 am

The red circle is where I'm at. I can guarantee you I've never been where that heavy cluster is just to the northwest of my location. Is it possible that could be an indication of a man in the middle attack? I'm dealing with a$$hole neighbors and just trying to determine what's going on.

Postby arkasha » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:42 pm

Nope. Your current position doesn't figure into the individual network view you posted.

The red circle is the "best" signal location for this launch of the app. Radio signals vary over time, just like listening to the FM radio or using a CB - if you spend the most time right there, then probably at a lucky moment, you got a nice clear signal. and your phone reports "that's the best I've seen."

A pin (not pictured here for some reason) is the "trilaterated" or average network location - the guess based on your observations of the center.
Each red dot is an observation with low signal strength. Whether or not you've physically "been" to a location (please note that you're looking at a VERY small area in this zoom), your phone GPS (which is also a radio receiver and subject to imprecision, interference, and numerous other factors) REPORTED you at that location when it measured a signal, and claimed to be precise enough at the time that the app counted it.

Your neighbors pretty much can't interfere with a cell tower signal, which is what you're looking at here.

Postby arkasha » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:49 pm

You can use the Basic Search tool on the site to see where this particular cell network is - it has pretty broad reach, but there are lots of reasons cell signal can degrade. It's almost certainly nothing your neighbors are doing (unless the neighbors are a television broadcast facility).

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”