Stumbling under Vista.

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby Blaze312 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone was submitting points to Wigle under Windows Vista?

While I was running XP i was using netstumbler to war drive. However when I installed Vista on my laptop, NS no longer detects my network card.

Is anyone else using any other program that works under vista. It's pointless to wait for a NS update as I am almost certain that there wont be one. (at least given the date of the last update)

Thanks

Postby littledave » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:27 pm

I was wondering if anyone was submitting points to Wigle under Windows Vista?

While I was running XP i was using netstumbler to war drive. However when I installed Vista on my laptop, NS no longer detects my network card.

Is anyone else using any other program that works under vista. It's pointless to wait for a NS update as I am almost certain that there wont be one. (at least given the date of the last update)

Thanks
I can't help you with N.S under Vista, but I do have a nice little Toughbook w/ubuntu and kismet I want to sell. Hell if your still in Holland I can even bring it to you. Pm me if your interested.

Postby Blaze312 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for the offer but I am such a linux newb it would be pretty pointless for me.

I do plan on spending some time to learn linux in the future but I currently dont have the time to putz with it.

BTW.. Not in Holland anymore currently in Ann Arbor. Where you located?

Postby littledave » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks for the offer but I am such a linux newb it would be pretty pointless for me.

I do plan on spending some time to learn linux in the future but I currently dont have the time to putz with it.

BTW.. Not in Holland anymore currently in Ann Arbor. Where you located?
I thought the same about linux, don't be afraid it's not that bad. Ubuntu has a great fourm. I got that laptop from Beakmyn not knowing anything about linux and now I have 3 linux boxs at home. Nothing better then kismet +Mysql +gpsdrive. Having kismet speaking ssid and having them show up on the map.
I'm in Ludington.

Postby Blaze312 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Thats cool...

Ludington.. That would explain why the last time I spent an hour war driving there I only got like 20 new points. :)

Postby Blaze312 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:48 pm

I got netstumbler working under vista.

Here is what I posted to the netstumbler forums. (The thread was locked but wanted to let everyone here know how I fixed my problems.)

I have a work machine that I recently had to upgrade to Vista. This machine is my current wardriving machine. After the install I ran into two problems. The first problem was that netstumbler no longer detects my wireless adapter. The first place I came for help was to this forum(netstumbler). It appeared to me that everyone here (netstumbler) was far from helpful. People asked questions, and members here (netstumbler) just say its an unsupported card and an unsupported OS. I understand that this is in fact the case. However this card was working fine (for my use) under XP.

I did some searching around, and wanted to share what I found with the members here who are actually looking for an answer on how to possibly get it to work.

If you are on a HP (and possibly a Dell) check which driver you are using. If you are currently using a Broadcom adapter here is what worked for me. Go to the dell or hp website and download the Windows XP drivers for you network card. Extract the drivers and manually point the network card at the XP drivers. You may have to play around a little bit as Windows will think it has the newest version of the driver already. I suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling the driver.

Also if you get the Permission Denied error right click netstumbler and click Run as Administrator. This should fix that problem.

I hope this helped some of you. I can now wardrive again. Keep in mind I haven't tested all of the aspects of the network card under Vista while using the XP drivers. There may be problems that occur that I am currently unaware of. Please keep this in mind.

Postby littledave » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:39 pm

Thats cool...

Ludington.. That would explain why the last time I spent an hour war driving there I only got like 20 new points. :)
Well shit if you got 20 I'm going to have do better :D

Postby roball80 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi Blaze, try out vistumbler, it works good in vista with no hassles.

Postby Dr_Dropper » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:43 am

yes NS works in vista here is a screenshot of one of my vista lappys using NS i did run it in compatibility mode for xp though.

http://la.gg/v/Capture_20.jpg
Last edited by Dr_Dropper on Sun May 11, 2008 2:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby ChrisAd » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Has anyone managed to sucessfully upload a file from Vistumbler?

I've tried to upload the .txt export but Wigle doesn't recognise it (0 networks).

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Has anyone managed to sucessfully upload a file from Vistumbler?

I've tried to upload the .txt export but Wigle doesn't recognise it (0 networks).

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Types supported:

NetStumbler: native (.ns1), text, wiscan, summary

DStumbler: text output

Kismet: CSV (.csv), XML (.xml), GPS (.gps), CWGD output

MacStumbler: plist XML, wiscan format

Pocket Warrior: Text output

Postby uhtu » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:47 am

vista should have nothing to do with it, pm myself or bobzilla or email wigle-admin@wigle.net with the ID of your post and we can look into it.

Postby bobzilla » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Whatever format Vistumbler is making there is not supported. It needs to export to any one of the many formats supported by WiGLE to work.

Postby uhtu » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 pm

yeah, turns out i'm an idiot.
regardless, you'd want to find a wi-scan esque text output.

Postby njhorvath » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:05 pm

i run NS under vista. i just run as administrator. never had any problems

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”